1. Win32 And Euphoria

Can anyone tell me the best way to get acquainted with using win32 with euphoria. it seems msdn is near cryptic.:(

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

Jason_James said...

Can anyone tell me the best way to get acquainted with using win32 with euphoria. it seems msdn is near cryptic.:(

Yeah, you'll want to stay away from there at first. There are basically two popular options:

Disclaimer: wxEuphoria is my project, and I used to maintain Win32Lib.

Win32lib might be a better choice when starting out, since it's simply a set of euphoria include files. wxEuphoria is a wrapper for wxWidgets, which comes with a dll. Coding is fairly similar for both.

The advantages for wxEuphoria are that it has some controls that aren't available through win32lib, like its grid control, and built in automatic sizing and positioning of controls. It's also cross platform (though that doesn't sound like what you're looking for).

Win32lib has a larger user base, and there are other add on libraries that fill in some of the gaps between it and wxEuphoria. Since it's all euphoria code (that wraps the Win32 API), it's easier to distribute your programs, since you wouldn't have to ship any dlls.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

Are you stuck with Windows?

4. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

I have a partitioned space on my hardrive for windows and linux. I use windows as my primary operating system.I would like it if you weren't so aggressive on your opinions. Thanks!

5. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

Jason_James said...

I am the primary maintainer of the Windows (tm) GUI library called Win32lib. It is adequate for most things but the current edition is a bit dated now.

I'm working on getting the library ready for Euphoria v4 before doing a major rewrite of the library. There is an IDE for it which I hear is not bad though I don't actually use it myself.

Are you used to writing GUI apps?

6. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

The Win32lib svn in the 'dev' branch works well with 4.0 and yet is compatible with 3.1 as well. With wxWidgets you must use a dll that was compiled for the version of EUPHORIA you are using.

I don't know anything about the age of the downloadable packages though...

Shawn Pringle

7. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

DerekParnell said...
Jason_James said...

I am the primary maintainer of the Windows (tm) GUI library called Win32lib. It is adequate for most things but the current edition is a bit dated now.

I'm working on getting the library ready for Euphoria v4 before doing a major rewrite of the library. There is an IDE for it which I hear is not bad though I don't actually use it myself.

No.Well yes, but I was spoiled by visual designers and easy to use systems of Java and .NET.....if you know what I mean

8. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

Jason_James said...
DerekParnell said...

No.Well yes, but I was spoiled by visual designers and easy to use systems of Java and .NET.....if you know what I mean

If you actually want to learn what all that msdn stuff means, rather than learn how to be mollycoddled another way, then I recommend arwen. I feel it lets you get alot closer to the metal, yet the demos show it doesn't have to be messy.

Regards, Pete

9. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

Jason_James said...

I have a partitioned space on my hardrive for windows and linux. I use windows as my primary operating system.I would like it if you weren't so aggressive on your opinions. Thanks!

Not everyone uses windows by choice. That's why I used the term "stuck".

If it's your choice to use Windows, I prefer not to get involved.

10. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

SDPringle said...

With wxWidgets you must use a dll that was compiled for the version of EUPHORIA you are using.

That's a little misleading. If you are using euphoria 4.0, you must use the bleeding edge release of the dll. The bleeding edge release still works with euphoria 3.1, though.

Matt

11. Re: Win32 And Euphoria

If you have any experience with java swing, then I would recommend wxEuphoria.

You also have a choice of gui builders if you go the xrc resource route. Although none of them approach the ease of Visual Studio, I found wxFormBuilder to be pretty good. http://forum.wxformbuilder.org/index.php?topic=1004.0 There are some good tutorials on using it.

Once you generate the xrc file, take a look at the xrc_demo.exw example in the wxEuphoria\demo folder to see how to reference the xrc file in euphoria.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu