1. Euphoria Sucks

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Random Newbie said...

Powered by Euphoria?
Wow, that language sucks, it can't even run a website!

That is the first impression of Euphoria that many new users are going to get.

Just wanted to point that out.

Or does nobody care?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Sucks

Although I think the wording of the original post could have been more politically correct, I agree with the sentiments expressed there-in.

We need to move to a new host ASAP. One that can support the forum as it has evolved.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Sucks

I'm getting tired of seeing "Internal Server Error" every few times I look at this site. What needs to be done to fix this?

4. Re: Euphoria Sucks

ryanj said...

I'm getting tired of seeing "Internal Server Error" every few times I look at this site. What needs to be done to fix this?

Could it be that there is something in the way that you are accessing the forum that is causing multiple hits in a short period of time? I rarely have this problem.

5. Re: Euphoria Sucks

Mike777b said...

Could it be that there is something in the way that you are accessing the forum that is causing multiple hits in a short period of time? I rarely have this problem.

I don't think so. I get them fairly frequently simply using firefox to access the forum.

Matt

6. Re: Euphoria Sucks

mattlewis said...
Mike777b said...

I don't think so. I get them fairly frequently simply using firefox to access the forum.

Matt

It would really help diagnosis the problem if when you get them you start recording a date/time. Then when you have a few stored up, let me know.

Jeremy

7. Re: Euphoria Sucks

ryanj said...

Me too, in fact when attempting to start this thread, I recieved the error no less than 4 times.

From what I understand, the problem is this-

The web host that OpenEuphoria.org runs on sucks. Epicly.
Appearently the host does not have proper resource management.
Other users on the system are able to use up all resources, and the host limits the number of processes that the OpenEu site can have running to something far too low.
But RobC will not give permission for it to be changed to a better one, therefore noone can do anything about it.

My recommendation would be to switch to another provider ASAP; perhaps a VPS-based one, as they tend to have much better resource management.

8. Re: Euphoria Sucks

CoJaBo said...

From what I understand, the problem is this-

The web host that OpenEuphoria.org runs on sucks. Epicly.
Appearently the host does not have proper resource management.
Other users on the system are able to use up all resources, and the host limits the number of processes that the OpenEu site can have running to something far too low.

That is exactly right.

CoJaBo said...

My recommendation would be to switch to another provider ASAP; perhaps a VPS-based one, as they tend to have much better resource management.

A good VPS would be something like $33/mo. I haven't looked at the price of a dedicated server, but surely we'd prefer a dedicated server over a virtual private one? (Granted, a VPS is much cheaper, I get mine for about 4 British pounds a month.)

CoJaBo said...

But RobC will not give permission for it to be changed to a better one, therefore noone can do anything about it.

Yeah, if I understand correctly, this is the major barrier to switching to a new provider. After all, Rob is the one who is paying for the current host.

And to be fair to the host, the issues we are seeing now are due to the upgraded forum which talks to an SQL server and runs a process per connection. Previously, we had just static HTML pages, so our requirements are lower. It's the need to run so many processes with the new euforum that is really hurting us.

(On the other hand, it is the host's fault we have to do this. With SCGI, we'd only have a handful of processes running long-term serving multiple connections and using up much less resources. But the host won't allow us to use something more efficient like SCGI, we must use the current, more resource heavy, CGI system that leaves us vunerable to this.)

9. Re: Euphoria Sucks

jimcbrown said...

And to be fair to the host, the issues we are seeing now are due to the upgraded forum which talks to an SQL server and runs a process per connection. Previously, we had just static HTML pages, so our requirements are lower. It's the need to run so many processes with the new euforum that is really hurting us.

Has anyone else noticed every topic on the site has it's view counter go up at least once a day? With 1000's of topics, it's got to matter some. And lately, the "oldest" topics from yesterday aren't the "oldest" today; since yesterday 3 more topics have been added that are older. I'm talking 13years or more older.
This could be normal spider bot activity, like google, cuil, msn, yahoo, etc, there's 100's of them. Perhaps a restrictive robots.txt file is in order.

useless

10. Re: Euphoria Sucks

Couldn't we use SourceForge's as the host and just redirect the openeuphoria.org domain name?

-Greg

11. Re: Euphoria Sucks

ghaberek said...

Couldn't we use SourceForge's as the host and just redirect the openeuphoria.org domain name?

-Greg

Even if we could, Rob would still need to approve it. Without his permission, we can't redirect the domain somewhere else.

12. Re: Euphoria Sucks

jimcbrown said...

Even if we could, Rob would still need to approve it. Without his permission, we can't redirect the domain somewhere else.

Of course. But if Rob doesn't want to switch because of cost, then SourceForge is a good alternative, as it is free.

-Greg

13. Re: Euphoria Sucks

ghaberek said...
jimcbrown said...

Of course. But if Rob doesn't want to switch because of cost, then SourceForge is a good alternative, as it is free.

-Greg

I think we are going to run some performance tests before we make a recommendation to Rob.

Jeremy

14. Re: Euphoria Sucks

Today's minute-by-minute failure:

10:00 AM 10/13/2009 
10:01 AM 10/13/2009 
10:02 AM 10/13/2009 
10:03 AM 10/13/2009 
10:04 AM 10/13/2009 

-Greg

15. Re: Euphoria Sucks

ghaberek said...

-Greg

So the forum was up by 10:05 AM?

Forked into: Webhost Sucks

16. Re: Euphoria Sucks

jimcbrown said...
ghaberek said...

-Greg

So the forum was up by 10:05 AM?

Well, you posted at 10:08 AM so I guess the forum was back up by then...

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu