Re: A controversial topic

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

I would have sent this privately to jimcbrown @ admin , but i have no email account any more.

Kat

No worries from me about this.

jimcbrown said...

Even if it's too late now to have a reconciliation over that, I feel it's still important to learn from it. Otherwise, it's like the maxim about history.

katsmeow said...

Sadly, it IS a repeated moment already. The maxim commemorates the many times those who had not learned have beaten down those who had a clue.

Hmm, I had always thought the maxim worked the other way around - those who fail to learn that the oppressed always defeat a dictatorship are doomed to have their empires fall. Reference: https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/those-who-do-not-learn-history-doomed-to-repeat-it-really/

katsmeow said...

To make an already-too-long story short, i was ecstatic to find mIRC and Euphoria. As you know, i gave up years ago, and deleted megabytes of source code and data.

Somehow I'm not surprised that the author of mIRC wasn't interested in contributions to the client.

katsmeow said...

I find spelling errors in Wikipedia too, and they don't - umm - care.

The general impression I get is that contributors don't want to be told about these mistakes, rather they want the finder to directly fix them in the articles.

axtens_bruce said...

I find spelling errors all over the place but everyone's too interested in sentimentalizing the immigrants' (and overseas call-centre's) struggle to learn English than demand correction and improvement (it's all about equality of outcome, right? A pox upon politically correct speech!)

I think it's reasonable on the one hand to sympathize with immigrants and overseas workers of call centres, but on the other hand to also ask for better spelling and grammar etc. I think AI could play a useful role here in providing better automatic spell and grammer checking for these folks.

Though, you're right, if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose them (the humans) over the AI.

katsmeow said...

Here's an example of those with the cudgel winning:

Considering what happed with Twitter, granted on the cudgel winning.

katsmeow said...

auto-driving cars cannot keep up with minutiae at highways speeds. The programmers with no clue assign "open pavement" to any non-moving large expanse which wasn't previously labeled. The expanse is simply not examined at highway speeds. So, a parked fire truck or EMT van on the highway at the scene of an accident is perfectly suitable for driving 70mph on. Your mileage may vary.

Interested to learn more. Don't find any mention of this in the article, which seems to state that maybe it was the fault of the software (without the details that you provided) but also that the investigators aren't sure yet - apparently a case of drunk driving is also suspected.

katsmeow said...

Side effect: the local news repeatedly said the driver was killed after the wreck.

Died from injuries that happened in the wreck, while in the hospital, yes.

katsmeow said...

There's a surprising number of drivers killed during the event,

Alas, not surprising to me, unfortunately.

katsmeow said...

and people still let the badly programmed car with too-slow computers do the driving. People prefer this situation. Actually, they "perfer" it. Not worth it.

Kat

Not a fan of Tesla. Customers are beta testing a feature for them, while paying for it (in more ways than one).

katsmeow said...

I remember being 10 years old, drawing a circuit diagram that could win/draw tic-tac-toe (with some caveats) while listening to HCJB or WLS (etc) on the radio i had rebuilt, no one else around for a mile, except on the highway.

Inspired by Alexander Douglas's OXO for the EDSAC, no doubt.

katsmeow said...

Shortly, i found out a "local" military base had an ENIAC. If there was a fact/fiction book in the county on computers, programming, and Ai, i had read it before i was out of high school.

Quite impressive all around. Sidetracking a bit, but I wonder what kind of computer that base had - not the original ENIAC which was retired in 1955 at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, but probably something similar.

katsmeow said...

The clue i have now is: i am 66 years old, i am unwelcome. I wasted my life.

axtens_bruce said...

I am 62 (today!) and, yeah, in some places I'm unwelcome.

These sentiments remind me of Mozart, who likely thought he died a failure. I guess that can happen sometimes, when you're ahead of your time.

katsmeow said...

The world doesn't want/deserve a real Ai.

axtens_bruce said...

The world will get the AI it deserves. It was probably an AI that suggested burning the vinyl chloride that spilled from the crashed rail tankers in East Palestine, Ohio.

I suspect Bruce is right here. (Sidetracking again, but I don't see any indication of a deliberate burn of vinyl clhoride in the Ohio derailment - it seems like the fires were just a result of the accidental crash.)

katsmeow said...

And think a minute about who would be in charge of it: those repeating all the mistakes.

I just really hope to goodness that it's not Tesla.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu