Re: Discarding EDS

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Bhupen1277 said...

The main and only reason I suggested discarding EDS is the fact that DBF, although older and much more supported is not generally accepted by the large programming community. Hadoop has connection to DBF but not to EDS.

DBF as in dBASE format? That takes me back. I used to work with a bunch of folks who came from Fox Software after they got bought out. It was always fun hearing about IT and programming stuff from that era.

Although I fail to see how the existence of DBF and Hadoop's support for any format has any bearing on Euphoria's own database format?

Bhupen1277 said...

As it is, Euphoria has very little acceptance within the programming world and to impose a different database system (however good it might be) would be unacceptable.

I think it's a bit unfortunate that Rob Craig called EDS a "database" because it's really just key-value format. It's been very good to have as a general-purpose lightweight data storage system. But I wouldn't really call it a database nowadays.

No one here is trying to push EDS as a solution to the greater world. But EDS works because it was written from scratch to support Euphoria objects. Nothing else in the world "speaks" Euphoria at that level.

In that way EDS is a lot more like Python's shelve library than anything else, which uses the pickle library to store objects in a file.

Bhupen1277 said...

I think in Euphoria, I have seen many efforts at connection to SQL type of databases and it would be best to direct your efforts towards that.

This is certainly the path forward yes. We do need more inclusive and welcoming options for newcomers, and we can offer that by providing access to systems they already use. But that doesn't mean we have to completely abandon anything either.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu