Re: Is anyone interested in Phix to C (I am not really that keen, but will help)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

The other question is who here uses the Euphoria To C Translator?

Technically? Everyone. The translator is used to build the Euphoria executables. Otherwise, in my experience I'd say "some people" use it. But more probably use bind if they need to ship an exectuable for something.

petelomax said...

As you say, I'm not a (proper) C programmer either, the main hurdle is (probably) installing a C compiler and the commandline for gcc (or whatever) - but in theory whatever command line(s) euc is invoking could just be copied?

If you're on Windows then I'd recommend TDM-GCC, otherwise just use whatever GCC is built in on your Linux distro.

petelomax said...

The one thing I really cannot and should not be responsible for is the documenting of any additional installation and setup needed for various platforms, or (eg) testing on a Raspberry Pi.

IMO this is where a lot of projects lose people. If it's too hard to get spun up and all you have is a loose list of "required dependencies" with no other directions, people usually just give up and move on.

petelomax said...

[Raspberry Pi is probably a very distant target, I don't think euc supports it, and getting this whole project to self-host (and then some) is probably needed first.]

We absolutely support it and it works pretty well, except building on Raspberry Pi is really slow (you can at least help by using euc -makefile and make -j4) and we only support 32-bit ARM right now.

You might want to have a look at Tiny C Compiler. I've considered it as an option for an "embedded" or "bundled" compiler for the translator.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu