Re: Taking the red pill...

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

I see a patch to correct someone else's mistake, it's 180 lines of C. There's a downloadable driver for windows, it's for win10, i don't have anything compatable with win10. There's talk of re-flashing the eeprom, but not how. There's a whole new ecosystem around Arduino, Pi, etc.. There is talk of how efficient this, that, and the other is, and i see nothing about how effective it is. Each time you post, it seems more complicated!

Yeah as it turns out computers and electronics are a lot more complex and nuanced than they were thirty years ago. I don't know what else to tell you there.

katsmeow said...

This is how simple it should be: if it's $2 or $6 or $10 or $50, why can't i buy it already set up for $300?

I think you're going to find the Venn diagram of "hobbyist electronics" and "ready-made products" to be two circles that don't touch. You were asking how to do this with off-the-shelf components. There's probably a hundred different ways to do it.

katsmeow said...

I mean really, i didn't pay $300 for any of the complete working computers i have!

How can an add-on gpio port cost more than two or three working 3Ghz i7 wintel computers??

Oh c'mon Kat, you know very well how much those computers cost brand new and it's not $300. That isn't a valid comparison.

katsmeow said...

I am WAY too distracted to learn multiple new computer languages and OSs. The bounty i offered was for a card that works, with whatever OE/win7 software it requires. I cannot understand how i cannot communicate that. Lets just pretend i never asked for anything.

I've re-read this thread several times now and it's seemed to me like you were offering a bounty for a solution as in, "here are all the parts I used and here's what I did to make it work."

And I guess the short answer to that is: No. Nobody here has anything built that they could just pack up and sell to you. The best I could do is offer a rough sketch of how you could do it.

This also isn't primarily a forum for these types of things and you'll quickly reach the knowledgeable limits of those capable of offering any type of response. Perhaps a more dedicated forum would yield better results. But I think you're going to find that the community surrounding hobby electronics to be mostly a "teach a person to fish" philosophy.

If you want a ready-made out-of-the-box solution, then maybe you should go look for a ready-made commercial solution. But expect to pay the cost for a commercial equivalent. But good luck finding support for Windows 7 since Microsoft doesn't support it and vendors don't like offering things for unsupported systems.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu