Re: Taking the red pill...

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

The first eBay item you posted was

My frustration at not meeting the end goal is leading me to not care about which device is used. The features of any one device don't match the computer, OS, driver, interface version, programming language, speed, protocol, extensibility, cost vs quantity, power consumption, etc etc..

ghaberek said...

I'm curious what your end goal is here.

Same as it was in the early 1990's: examine, monitor, log the "real world", and be able to program decisions to respond. For example: it's smokey outside, so close the windows. Per a conversation on irc last night, i am not the only one needing this particular rule.

In terms of "old style", wire the sensors to the user port of an olde Commodore, and peek/poke the port. Or wire up a couple 74xx688 chips and a 74xx245, and plug that into the expansion port, and peek/poke it. Or get complicated and use a serial port. Unfortunately, this still doesn't get the data into a modern computer and the benefits it could provide. And the olde computers are not lasting forever.

ghaberek said...

If you're hooking this all up to a PC then at the end of the day you're just building a really slow network adapter that works over serial, which a simple $5 USB network adapter would provide at a fraction of the cost and complexity and a hundred times the speed. These kinds of devices are meant to be attached to or embedded into dedicated real-world widgets that need network connectivity.

Well, it's been 30 years, and i may resort to 1970's hardwiring rules on cards, because every time i look into software again, something has changed, something is now obsolete, something needs a driver, etc etc etc..

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu