Re: Taking the red pill...

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

For Euphoria, i wouldn't feel confident about getting devices with chips other than FTDI, because of euphoria's lack of multi-threading and difficult C/C++ dll wrapping. It is unknown how usable they would be without seeing details on driver installation and API documentation.

I know FTDI drivers work with euphoria because they have a very simple non-blocking API that takes only basic C wrapping.

This week, i'm busy finishing the design of my audio PCB. Next week, I will plan on looking at my FTDI wrapper and see what needs to be finished so i can release it to the public. I probably just need to wrap a few more functions, clean up the code, and write documentation and a demo program. I'll post an update here as soon as i have one!

The way FTDI devices work, you can either have virtual COM port numbers for legacy software, or you can get a list of FTDI devices connected to the USB bus and address them by ID so it doesn't matter which port you plug them in to (that's the way i prefer to do it). It's like opening a file, except you have to set a baud rate (and other options). It's simple to read/write series of bytes and close when you're done. You can also set/get pins like RTS, CTR, etc. When you read input, it returns however many bytes of data are buffered (or returns 0 bytes immediately if no data) so it never blocks. If you suddenly plug or unplug USB devices, it can cleanly handle that.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu