Re: wikipedia draft

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

OK, engage brutal mode:

Plain wrong:

-- a list of user defined error messages 
sequence e = 
{ "attempt to divide by 0", 
"user error 1", 
"user error2" } 

argument are passing by-value (but with the efficiency of copy-on-write)
woah, hang on a minute there...
I've just realised that is all wrong, a complete rewrite follows below (phix docs need updating too).

Wikipedia is not a place for sales pitch or opinion

While Euphoria remains conservative,
in pragmatic ways -> with
A major additon -> The addition

very quickly

Simplicity minimalism orthogonality

thus easy to learn

The cognitive load needed to learn and use Phix is reduced

it is easier to remember

no additional rules; no additional punctuation.

Wikipedia is not a place for tutorials

"keep what you have learned." If you learn to process strings then you have automically learned to process any generic sequence

learn strings
apply the same ideas to any data

Learn one sample
Then just follow the pattern

Extolling/examples of freeform feels really odd to me, like grasping for something positive to say and completely missing the target.
Sure, briefly mention it, but explaining it is rather patronising/probably belongs on a completely different wp article.

Either = (for traditional programmers) or := (for programming educators) may be used as an assignment operator.
Sounds like it is trying to say "traditional programmers must use =, and programming educators must use :="...
know your place - you will be punished should you dare to use the one not meant for your lot...

Can you add "operator, function, or builtin overloading, " to "the scary list" (just before pointers).

Lastly, how about this for an opener:

The design of Phix is based on three tenets: simplicity, clarity, and make debugging easier, rather than cling to the vain hope of avoiding it altogether.

I know it ain't easy...
One really useful thing I am already getting from all this is the ability to see just how far off the mark the Phix website is.
The last few days have really perked me up, this is somehow making me feel alive for the first time in ages.
Oh, erm, well done the Bills, btw, I think..

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu