Desktop Calculator

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Strange really that I never got round to this, but I have always wanted a decent calculator that
I can call my own, and always been somewhat disappointed by the standard windows efforts.

Annoyances of windows 10 calculator (off the top of my head):
Slow startup - admittedly not so bad since I put more memory in.
Value/result is cleared (to 0) when you switch between standard/scientific/programmer modes.
You cannot edit the main input, only append or delete the last digit.
You cannot edit the history, say if you made a typo five steps back.
Seperate history for standard/scientific/programmer modes.
Click on a number in a history element: does nothing; click on the whitespace near it: bingo, restores it. Ditto memory.
You cannot edit the memory, or (optionally) give anything a meaningful name, or preserve anything for the next run.
You cannot edit or paste in a date.
You cannot use eg mod on a hex value.
You cannot see deg/rad/grad side-by side, like you can hex/dec/oct/bin.
You cannot hide/disable unnecessary buttons, or move any oft-used function off a submenu onto the main keypad.
You cannot configure bespoke bitfields, for example symtab[N][S_State] is used/set/fwd/for/parm/sqr/aod/fun/wdb/noclr/rtn/ran/gbl/fres/lit/typ/other/ridt/dlft/drid.
You cannot write personalised or application-specific routines and just plug them in.

Why oh why in 2020 are we so carefully still emulating any of the petty restrictions of cheap 1970s handhelds?

Do it right, you got a killer app right there, especially if we can leverage some of the Eu/Phix advantages
in a way that could be rather more difficult for other programming languages, eg the "roll your own" bits.

PS: Does anyone fancy firing up their Linux calc and seeing how many similar flaws they can find in that?

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu