Re: portable devices - USB - and other horrors

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Thanks for the quick reply. Two observations, so far:

1. There must be a way to do this. All I need is an input buffer to accept the character string from the device and an output buffer for sending info to the device. No driver or other software is supplied by the mfg. It relies on the fact that USB HID devices tell the OS what is required. Since there is no driver it must rely on a standard OS supplied driver. This is probably OK until two of these get plugged into the same machine. The, relatively dumb, OS just sends all the data to the same buffer. Try plugging two keyboards into the same machine and watch what happens! 2. I suppose I could supply some additional hardware to go between the device and the OS. All this would accomplish is to kick the can down the road. It would require a custom driver but at least one could add a device ID so more than one could be connected at a time. The thought of a hub comes to mind. The hub must somehow indicate to the parent which device is talking now, even if all devices are the same. 3. Even if there is a way to separate out all the devices I still need to know how to tell Euphoria which buffer to look at. The old integer fn = open( "com1:","r/w") should still work as the OS still does assign a logical device name to a physical port, even in windows 10. 4. I don't know enough to do this. Out of my depth. I just thought someone out there might have run across a solution. The archives only have one entry for USB.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu