Re: Where to Upload Files

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ChrisB said...

In my view, looking for the archives, just to search them, has become fiddly, and user contributions need to become part of the OpenEuphoria web site. Exploring user contributions is a major factor in learning a new language, and also allows people to see at a glance what it is capable of, and would be a valuable addition to the web site.

How about for now, adding a wiki tab with those links, and also allow users to add a wiki page that describes their baby, and points to where it can be downloaded from.

Agreed. An archive, by definition, would require that a copy of the code be maintained "locally" - i.e. not just a link to a webpage which might (and in the case of many of the entries on RDS site, did) disappear. Maintaining such an archive would be a lot of work.

From the contributor's standpoint, posting to an off-site location may be easier and more versatile. That's why people were doing it.

For the purpose of saving all the hard work done in the past, we need an actual archive.

However: much of the archived material isn't suitable for introducing new users to Euphoria. It may require considerable "tweaking", or only run on old computers, etc... That can be discouraging.

So new User Contributions should, I think, be a separate issue.

Free space is readily available (GitHub, google sites, google drive, etc.) for users to upload their work. Those allow more freedom to include images, documentation pages, etc. than the old archive could provide. Many times when browsing thru RDS' archives I wished there were screenshots of the programs - a picture is worth 1,000 words, I've been told.

Screenshots of "neat" programs are something that might attract new users.

My suggestion, therefore, is to create a new tab which would work like the forum, except that it would only contain posts announcing new user contributions and updates. That would make it easy to search, and announcements wouldn't be buried amongst other questions and discussions.

Could screenshots be allowed there?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu