Re: Probability question

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Well, I know where I'd start. If you first consider that the probability of each result on a 7-sided die that is fair must be 1/7th you then ask how many rolls of the die must I make to prove the die is fair? A corollary formula would be that if you roll a die sufficient times (X) the expectation is that each result will come up X/7 times. Clearly, as X approaches infinity the probability that each result comes up X/7 times must be 1 (otherwise the die is not fair).

So, the question is whether the more logical result is zero (1001 is not nearly a sufficient number of rolls) or 1 (1001 is enough). My gut tells me that it is much closer to zero than to 1.

Another part of the solution is how many total permutations are there? With a seven sided die rolled 1001 times the total universe consists of 7^1001. To say this is a large number is an understatemnt.

So, the question is how many of the 7^1001 permutations satisfy the criteria?

Where would you go from there?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu