Re: Some initial clarifications

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

Just curious, where did you come across Euphoria? Was it recently? I've been dropping hints over on Reddit at r/learnprogramming.

I don't know exactly, but I'm always all ears (and eyes) trying to find a good tool. oE was in the bookmarks, probably from the time I also found other good but uncommon programming languages, like Rebol/Red and Picolisp. It was some years ago, not now.

ghaberek said...

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a huge advantage to using high-level language like Euphoria or Python due to the safety and simplicity they offer over inherently-complex languages like C or C.

Even though the execution speed might be a bit slower, reducing your development and debugging time is often worth the speed trade-off.

I really don't mind oE to be somewhat slower. But do mind if it is similar to Python's speed. Have done two big (for me) project in Python, twelve years ago, because I loved the language at the time. After doing the projects never again wanted to code in Python. Too slow, had run-time errors that would have preferred to be caught before.

ghaberek said...

To be honest, community participating has been slowing down over the past ten years since we released 4.0. We have a lot of data rot to deal with. We currently don't have any truly active developers.

It's one of the risks to me, to do my work in an environment fading out. But we have to be positive and believe in some thing in live, don't we? oE/Phix need a killer application, no?

ghaberek said...

I've been working diligently on Euphoria MVC in order to rewrite the website and provide some better tools for managing the whole site.

Quite nice! If I may suggest something, leave the ORM to later, as people can use SQL directly in code.

ghaberek said...

Yeah... the builds are still kind of broken. Shawn and I had been working on that but he's not been around much and as mentioned, I've been working on Euphoria MVC. I thought I had it working though. Feel free create a new thread with the error message you're receving and I'll try to help.

I could also use some FreeBSD, and seems that Euphoria supported this OS, as the other BSDs. Are these OSes going to be supported as well?

ghaberek said...

P.S. I have a copy of the RDS Archive on my website here: https://archive.usingeuphoria.com/. They had a server crash earlier this year resulting in a lot of broken links.

Thank you.

One more question. Is it possible to use oE scripts or libraried in Phix? I already know that there are some differences between the two languages, but can it be done adapting those scripts to Phix, having oE side by side? Or does Phix require libraries specific done for it?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu