Re: Switch from Ubuntu to Mint

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Things that go wrong include: bad download, bad DVD, and UEFI.

UEFI is "microsoft anti boot", a feature designed to keep Linux from booting on Microsoft computers.

You can turn UEFI "off" in the bios (which should then make Windows unbootable). My solution is to turn UEFI off and remove Windows from my computer--then loading any Linux is easy. There is a workaround, it is possible to install a UEFI enabled Linux distribution (like Ubuntu) and multi-boot with windows. (Since I have no Windows, I have not learned how to do this.)

Sorry you are having trouble with your operating systems. Since you have Ubuntu working then just leave things as they are. Ubuntu is not going to limit what you can do with your computer.

It is possible to install Virtualbox on either Windows or Linux. This lets you run a "virtual" operating system as an extra window inside whatever OS you are currently using. I can boot Linux and run a copy of Windows. Virtualbox is the best way to work around "microsoft anti boot".

Happy New Year,

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu