Re: Installing WEE

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
alrobnett said...

I hope I'm not being too dense, Irv, but the basic name of the missing file is libcurl, yet you have written, "sudo apt-get install libcurl3"
How did you know to append the '3'?

There are a couple of ways to determine this. I'm not sure which software manager comes installed in Ubuntu. Mint has two, a very easy to use one: choose Software Manager under the Administration menu item. In Ubuntu, it may be named Ubuntu Software Center.

Search for libcurl.

A list of matches will be shown, and they're marked whether they are installed or not.

You'll note that some of the entries have some qualifier attached to the name, such as -dbg, and are described as "debugging symbols", or -doc, for documentation files, or perhaps -i386 for older computers.

You want the one without any qualifiers - usually the first on the list.

Click on the box next to libcurl3, and select "mark for installation". Then click the Apply icon near the top left. Follow the next dialog to install.

A much simpler way: in a terminal, type apt search <enter>, and look thru the list for a name which makes sense. Same qualifiers will show up in this list, and as above, aren't the ones you want.

Simplest way: ask here :)

BTW: all this may seem complicated, but you won't need to do this often, and generally it's pretty straightforward.

BTW2: Once you find the Software Center or Software Manager, it's the place to go to install stuff such as editors, games, etc. without sweat or problems! Very neat, even beats Windows!

BTW3: Another suggestion you're likely to get is to use Synaptic. I don't think that comes installed on Ubuntu. You could install it if you wish, but I don't recommend it.

BTW4: While exploring the Mint Software Manager, I was surprised to find that Eu 4.1.0 was there with a one-click install! Don't know if it is also available in Ubuntu's Software Center.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu