Re: Is this forum prepared for the GDPR?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Following on from Jim's response to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/27/europe_icann_whois_gdpr/ via the admins email system, ICANN has data centres and controllers in the EU, and is thus bound by the EU GDPR, for those whose data it holds from the EU. It's a hideously complicated situation, and may well end up with ICANN's WHOIS database only being available to non EU countries, and only for those who are not EU citizens. In my view this is an utterly draconian policy set, created by a set of non elected beureucrats (while I am sure well meaning) in order to justufy their own existence. It has got companies all over the EU panicking that they are not going to comply or be able to comply in time. It applies to the smallest one or two man companies up to the largest multinational companies that trade within the EU. The extent of it is such that unless an individual agrees to being contacted by email before they are contacted, then that could be a breach of the GDPR, and medical companies, veterinary surgeries, physiotherapists, doctors etc, may not be able to keep medical records unless patients consent to - ie they will all have to be contacted in some way first in order to obtain their permission keep their data and medical records on file, and to contact them for (eg) vaccination reminders and the like.

Back to the original post - GDPR does not apply to companies outside the US that do not trade or have a base within the EU, and as such the OpenEuphoria forum that has a US base (and as far as I know, does not have an EU base) does not need to comply with the regulations.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu