Re: String comparisons

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hi Kat

If you mean EuDirList.zip, then they are presrved on your personal folder on the openeuphoria gmail account, for which I am graeful for the effort you put in, however this was happening at the same time that Greg (and subsequently me) scraped the wayback machine, so there was no requirement to ask you for any archived files that you may have had. However I assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the offer still stood, and that in the unfortunate case that all the other copies of the archive were lost we could call on you to supply what you may have had.

My apologies for not making the permissions issue clearer too - if you post to a public place (Pete's Pecan for instance), then one can assume that they are available to use under common sense terms, but if you post to the gmail account, this is not immediately obvious that they are for widespread dissemination, so a quick note to say that they are is always appreciated.

On the subject of your other contributions - I have always found strtok a very useful addition to the toolset that I use, no matter what other people say about strings and sequences anyway - the end result is always the same, I don't care as long as it works and gets the job done. Unfortunately I have had no need of the other libraries you mentioned, so I cannot comment on there usefulness. But if you look at the history of other Eu contributors, then there is often very little feedback. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. When problems arise people are often very vocal about expressing their concerns / dismay / anger whatever at the issue, but when everything is good, even if the thing helps improves their lives enormously, then they will often say very little, if anything about it. I give as an example Irv's GTK toolkit - he has often threatened to stop development of it, or post updates, because no one gives him any feedback, and yet I am fairly confident that it is fairly well used by a (perhaps small) number of users. This is human nature, negative feedback is always louder than positive feedback. An example outside of Eu would be human MMR vaccinations - vocal negative feedback from a small number of adverse reactions far outweighed the positive reaction from the vast majority of babies who benefited from being protected against the diseases, resulting in a large reduction in the uptake of the vaccine, until the results of not being vaccinated began to become apparent, at which point the negative feedback from the results of not being vaccinated began to appear (some parents actually blamed the doctors for not advocating the vaccine strongly enough).

I'm going to end on an apology for this diatribe on this thread, but I am sure that you will not be punished for offering those two files for our perusal - who knows, even I might find them useful!

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu