Re: Important question?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

As Greg said, we need someone who has:

A time
B technical capacity (both the technical knowledge and access to the required hardware)

To that, I have to add:
C motivation

Assuming we don't all pitch in and hire someone to do A and B (not going to happen),
then the only remaining motivation is world-wide acclaim and adulation (also not going to happen).

One of the factors to consider here is that Euphoria was developed in 1993, when just being able to do something with a computer was an impressive accomplishment, and there was a supply of (mostly young) people with the ability and desire to learn to do something with a computer.

Fast forward to 2018: it's no longer impressive that you can do something with a computer. Anybody can post a video of their cat. And everybody does.

Add to that an increasingly common inability to do anything even a little bit "complicated" on the part of millennials. Heck, Home Depot had to resort to making videos showing their customers how to use a hammer, a tape measure, or a MOP!

Someone who is baffled by the intricacies of a mop is probably not your ideal candidate to have a career as a programmer.

Given an ever-declining number of people who have an interest in programming and the dwindling number of people who think they are able to learn to program, is it any surprise that interest in Euphoria is fading?

My conclusion is that there's nothing that can be done about that. It would be nice to keep a Euphoria web site running; I suppose it would be like those for vintage computers. There's a site or two for almost every kind made, TRS-80, MOS KIM-1, CP/M, etc. And some of those sites are surprisingly active: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php for example. Lots of discussions there about software to run on ancient platforms (like DOS, old Windows, etc.).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu