Re: New and having problems

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mollusk said...
SDPringle said...

Hello I am a volunteer developer of Euphoria. Can you please tell us what attracted you to Euphoria in particular? Why are you not using Ruby?

The manual details a function for parsing command arguments. Remember that everything is pass by value (or simulated pass by value).

SD Pringle

Euphoria has a plentiful standard library, it can be compiled or interpreted, it can run on ARM, it's portable, it's under a BSD license, it's pretty simple to pick up for most people. Now it just needs an interactive interpreter (it may already have one) like irb, python and lua.

I a curious, why do you want an interactive interpreter? Is there a real application for interactive mode?

I haven't worked with irb, but in the case of Python my observations are:

Python was designed to be a "teacher's language." That means it has features that make a teacher happy like: the interactive mode, and controversial syntax. Interactive mode is good for the first few lessons in a Python course--it gives teachers something to do. The strange Python syntax is good for people marking Python code--easy on the marker's eyes and has just enough oddities to trick students and allow them to fail. They get stuck with it, but learners and users do not want a teacher's language.

Get the WEE editor. You can enter the command line arguments into the editor and then execute code. Because Euphoria is fast you do not need a slow interactive mode. You get a hard-copy of your test code--writing disposable code that vanishes is described as a feature when you use Python in interactive mode. Writing code with WEE is better than interactive mode.

For example, pretending to be newby, I offer this interative help session on Python:

To get a list of available modules, keywords, or topics, type "modules", 
"keywords", or "topics".  Each module also comes with a one-line summary 
of what it does; to list the modules whose summaries contain a given word 
such as "spam", type "modules spam". 

help> spam 
no Python documentation found for 'spam' 

help> modules spam 

Here is a list of matching modules.  Enter any module name to get more help. 

help> 

Yes, I should know better, but I feel this help system is overrated.

Friendly | Flexible | Fast

I am trying to develop Friendly, Flexible, Fast as the unique signature for Euphoria. (Phix is can also be called Friendly | Flexible | Fast.)

Using your words in my framework I get this:

Friendly

"it's pretty simple to pick up for most people."

Flexible

"Euphoria has a plentiful standard library, it can be compiled or interpreted, it can run on ARM, it's portable, it's under a BSD license, "

Fast

Not mentioned. (I get the impression that most people like slow sluggish languages.) Is a fast Euphoria better than a interactive interpreter?

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu