Re: Another open source programming tool

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

I had a quick gander. It is written in C++, is Windows-only, and was open sourced "to prevent it becoming abandonware". Hmmm.
One user writes (sept 2015): If you find some ways to decrease compile time let us know. It is very important improvement. Many people here have over 30k lines code and it is really headache to compile it ))))

What can I say, other than I can barely remember 30k lines being anything but a blink!

Hi Pete

Most of my programming efforts aren't aimed at fancy graphics or gameplay physics, but wehn you look at the number of users / posts on the gamecreator forums, and when you look at the beauty of the games it produces ( http://www.starwraith.com/ ), then it must be doing something right. Also when DBP compiles, it adds in all the models and graphics at compile time, and this takes quite some time to do.

Clearly the ease with which DarkBasicPro produces quality good looking games is a major factor that drives users to it. Ie the end product justifies the cons.

DarkBasicPro produces great looking commercial quality games. What does Euphoria do - is it too general purpose? What need does it fulfil? (I know in my case what it does, but my case isn't the same as everyone elses).

I've just bought GameGuru, because I liked the look of it, wanted to dabble at creating adventure based first person shooters, and this program makes it a doddle to do. If I want it to look unique, I'll have to put a lot of effort into creating models / music / sound, or spend more money on other media. Can Euphoria ever get to the stage where it will inspire anything more than the 'give it a go because it's free' attitude, or where programmers require quick scripts and instead reach for Python / Lua / Ruby?

BTW, I love Euphoria, IMHO it is the easiest language to use (for what I do), those comments above are just discussion points.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu