Re: What happened with ed.ex?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
achury said...

About the time of launching version 4.0, I submit to sourceforge a small modification to ed.ex, that made it compatible with accented characters generated by key combinations with spanish keyboard. Some few Eu versions back, ed.ex was usable. Outdated, don't look awsome, but was usable. On those times I had a WinXP machine.

I'm trying to reconstruct the history here, since a few years have gone by.

4.0.0 final was released in December 2010. We had actually changed over from sf to using hg a few days prior.

I'm not sure when your patch was accepted, but it was probably some time before either event.

achury said...

I had long time without using Eu. Now, I have a Windows7 machine and after install the new stable Eu I note that Eu is not usable, at least not with my spanish keyboard. The rigth Alt key (marked as AltGr) generates different key codes, is impossible to type a lot of especial characters that requires such key to be generated: @|\{}[]€

After the release, support for MinGW was added. In 4.1.0 pre-release, support for OpenWatcom was dropped due to a lack of 64bit support at the time.

achury said...

Were those changes on key exploration codes caused by the newer windows versions, or for the new compilers now used to compile Eu. (I understand that you are not using OpenWatcom anymore), or by changes on the interpreter.

MinGW and OpenWatcom handled the keyboard very differently, so part of it is definitely because of the new compilers now used to compile Eu.

Close to a year after 4.0.0 final was released, a new method of handling the keyboard was added to better massage these differences: http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/rev/270d6a0db338

So, changes on the interpreter were also likely responsible for the difference.

Finally, in the same commit, changes to ed.ex itself were made which also could have had an effect.

achury said...

Are those changes permanent, so are needed some new modifications on ED? or is possible that key codes come back to their original state?

These are permanent (made necessary by the change in compiler), so the simplest fix is probably to make some new modifications on ED.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu