Re: OT: Gender Bias In SW Development

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

I can't say that any early-life experiences a girl has will prepare her for the likes of Gamergate.

I have a hard time coming up with any experiences at any age that would make anyone able to prepare for the likes of that.

Now, we could still quibble over the facts here, like trying to come up with some stats that show those harassers are a small minority of individuals. Or that online gamers are a different group of people than those in corporate America.

All of that is besides the point. That is wrong, that is a problem, and something should be done to end it.

katsmeow said...

After all the polished and well-considered words said up till now in this thread, I think it needs some words from reality.

...i tossed him over my shoulder thru the double doors, and he landed in the middle of the meeting...

...i managed to flip a guy who had my arms pinned from behind in the parking lot... i had kicked the cash drawer shut on his fingers, and i was holding his bat to his head...

I can only say that I wished it actually worked out this way in reality.

katsmeow said...

I recommend to all women now: document with video, self defense classes, and the appropriate weapons.

You've gone to a different topic now - from discrimination to actual violence against women in the workplace. I feel that this is probably a lot less common than the original issue (simply because physical violence leaves behind evidence that's a lot harder to hide, so one would expect to hear about it more often), but even a single instance of this happening is one instance too many.

katsmeow said...

You guys just don't seem to understand how difficult it can be to work among you.

Some guys do.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu