Re: OT: Gender Bias In SW Development

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

So the score now is

• three men say there is no bias against women
  • one man suggests it would be good if women were forced out
  • one woman saying there is a problem

My count is more like this:

• one man asks if there is a problem, but doesn't give out his opinion on the matter (DerekP)
  • one man saying there is a problem (jimcbrown)
  • one man questioning the article, but admitting that workplaces hostile to women could exist (mattlewis)
  • one woman saying there is bias against women (katsmeow)
  • one man suggests it would be good if women were forced out (SDPringle)

That one man saying there is a problem is me:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/127143.wc

mattlewis said...

I hope you aren't counting me in the "no bias against women," because that's not a fair reading of what I said. I said that I haven't witnessed it at my particular company.

That's not all you said. You also claimed that the original article seemed to have problems of its own (e.g. reporters apparently not trying to verify the stories with the anonymous companies).

mattlewis said...

At several points in my career there, I've been outnumbered and outranked by women. No amount of bias at other companies invalidates what I've seen and experienced.

I guess the real question is this: Is there a systematic bias? Is it just a few insignificant places, or does it cover a large swath of corporate America?

While, like mattlewis, I haven't personally seen any examples myself, I wouldn't have been in a position to do so, and I have no problems believing that America still has a significant systematic bias against female coders that covers a large swath of corporate America, and also that this set of affairs is not desirable, and should be rectified somehow.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu