Re: Data structures in the next release

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ne1uno said...
GreenEuphorian said...

Hi

I would like to know if data structures are still a priority for the next release, and when this is likely going to happen.

Thanks

GreenEuphorian

if you mean 4.1, then no. you can help the process along by checking out the structs branch, submit bug reports and suggestions on syntax for missing features here or on the dev list.

it is very usable right now and Matt has kept it up to date with the default 4.1. missing I think are unions? bit fields maybe? more unittests? coverage?

I was thinking it over, actually. Considering the long delay in getting 4.1 out, maybe it is ok to include new features like structs after all...

andi49 said...

So i think data structures are never likely to be happen... (becouse there are not easy to learn and do not fit into the simple Euphoria typesystem).

So structs are nothing to wait for.

Like ne1uno said, we already have them.

andi49 said...

It's a toy language, you can play with it and then go on to something real.

I think this is less true since 4.0 came out (it was more true of say, version 2.3). Besides, Linux (the kernel) started out the same way (as a toy kernel), but with time grew into something bigger.

andi49 said...

I still like it (becouse i'am just playing) but i do not await real progress.

Define progress. Does 64bit support, multi-thread support, and data structure support count?

andi49 said...

It's nice for text processing

Ironic, as it's not really intended to specialize in text processing, unlike languages like Perl or awk.

andi49 said...

Its just easy to learn.

That's a huge benefit regardless of any other faults.

andi49 said...

but does not offer something you can't do in any other language.

I think this is an unreasonable requirement. All procedural computer languages are equivalent. At the end of the day, the code is turned into machine code that a computer understands. It's not possible to add features or abilities on top that can't be written in that machine code.

andi49 said...

From my point of view. Euphoria is dead and outdated. You better do not await something new.

From my point of view, Euphoria is more-or-less missing only two features - native multithread support and generators. (I'm still working on the first but not making a lot of progress yet.) Otherwise, it mostly has everything you'd expect from another language.

Development has been sluggish lately, but I assume that's because all-volunteer team is busy in real life. You get what you pay for ... or, if you really want to see things speed up, you can join the team and start playing around with the source code of the language itself (and not necessarily in that order)!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu