Re: [OT [OT] Off Topic guideline request] AI Class

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Heys Greg. I never said it wasn't worth taking the course, i was just saying it's not a real college course like Vinoba was making it out to be. I don't know what's in the course, so i have no opinion on the contents. I do suspect they stress neural nets as the proper or best way to build an Ai, which i have a negative opinion on.

The best use i have seen of NN was photo recognition, and there's some wild mistakes made by the best NN. Using them to pick out people in public places, like airports, has been a waste of time and money, many systems have been removed. In some cases, there were many false positives, and no true positives.

The biggest problem i see with them is once trained they may work acceptably, but if you teach them just one more thing, they break. Each new item to train on costs a potentially huge non-linear increase in training time. One or both of these instructors wrote a book wherein they want to precisely replicate part of the human brain in silicon (or software on whatever).... i think the instructors are broken.

Many Ai courses are heavy into math, and i have yet to envoke calculus to have a conversation with a human, and i never use statistics to pick the next word randomly, and i never take a cue from an Elizabot.

Learning is usually a good thing. YMMV.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu