Re: Structures in 4.0?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

I just whipped this up. Let me know what you think. Perhaps we could polish it and include it in the 4.0 release. (I'm not sure how much testing needs to be done, or how well this actually works for that matter.)

struct.e

I don't think we should include a structure library in the standard library. Here is my reasoning: Once we put something into the standard library, it probably shouldn't be removed. There are plans for adding improved native support for using raw memory structures. This is probably my (personal) highest priority for 4.1. The native support, I think, will be far superior to anything that anyone can implement in a euphoria library.

From glancing at the code, it seems reasonable. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the code used by win32lib, which has been my favorite structure library. I know that there are a few others out there, though I haven't really used them as much.

I'm actually really excited about the possibilities with enhancing euphoria to deal with raw memory. I think the approach I outlined here is a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some things that need to be worked out.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu