Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
kinz said...
mattlewis said...

Again, you're not understanding the english. Looping and cycling are pretty much the same thing. My russian is far worse than your english, so I won't tell you how to translate, but you're obviously not understanding the english correctly.

Matt, first of all, let's talk about specific English words, not about English as a language on the whole, OK?.

Yes. I'm talking specifically about 'do' and 'loop' and 'cycle'.

kinz said...

Then, if your Russian is far worse than my English, and my English is not zero, so your Russian is not zero too and we can try to talk almost in Russian.
Let's try?

I'll just take your word on Russian. My knowledge doesn't go much farther than da and nyet.

kinz said...

Loop in Russian - petlya, you know.
Cycle in Russian - cykl, almost same as in English, came from Latin, I believe.
So word "cycle" is much better for English-Russian dialog and for pogram texts than word "loop", "cycle" is an international word.
Petlya is a bit dark, gloomy word in Russian, sometimes it means the instrument for suicide. In computer Russian literature, it is very rare, used just to describe the magnetic tape way.
Loop in English doesn't mean an instrument for suicide, as far as I can find in my dictionaries. But it sounds a bit funny for Russian ear. We have some word, which means a bare head of penis, it gives good rhyme with "looping", sorry.
Do you understand Russians and loop/cycle relations a bit better now?
Very well, so, I never will recommend the "loop do" construct in future Euphoria.

Now it's my turn for random stuff. 'Do' can also refer to a hair style. Cycle can be something to ride.

The best course is probably for Russian programmers to learn english, since that's what most programming languages assume. And most programmers communicate in english, even if it isn't their first language. Jeff Atwood recently has an interesting post regarding english in programming.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu