Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

But, first, all Russian computer science tell us about cycles for these constructs

That's nice but so what? The word "do" does not imply a looping or cyclic action.

In standard Euphoria, the word "do" does imply namely the looping or cyclic actions, it is used only in cyclic constructs and nowhere else.

for i=1 to n by 2 do 
end for 

while a do 
end while 

So I'm free to translate it in its own sense - as marker of cyclic block.
In Russian it sounds as cycl.

DerekParnell said...

It is used as a marker to begin the block of code that is being control by the previous statement. If that previous statement is a looping construct then "do" marks the begining of a loop,

So, what is wrong if the name of the marker of begining of the cyclic actions is cycl, as it is in bilingual EU 2.5 in Russian mode???

DerekParnell said...

if the previous statement is not a looping construct, the "do" marks the begining of a non-looping block. Actually to be very consistent we should be using the syntax ...

if condition do 
  block 
end if 

Wait a minute ... Where did you see if condition do?
The standard Euphoria doesn't have that, it has then marker here, to in Russian mode. And it is very good. In C we have { for all at all markers of begining.

DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

second, do you think I do not speak Russian?

Of course not. I do however know that I don't speak your language and I believe that English is not your primary language. So therefore, I was confirming if there was a SINGLE Russian word that means the same as the English phrase "perform an action", because that is closer to the meaning we are using "do" for than "cycle". In fact, "cycle" here in English could be a bit confusing.

In the end, I was just trying to see if there might be an alternate Russian word that you can use for all these constructs rather than the Russian that means "cycle".

Thanks Derek. Is "cycle" still confusing someone?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu