1. Is the IUP project dead ?

Generally I develop my applications in C/C++ and use the IUP GUI but have dabbled in Euphoria. Over six months ago I put in a request for Linux 6.x support. This request has not been acknowledged or actioned. As I build from subversion I note that there have not been any updates for seven months. The code that you can download and build is about three years behind subversion. IUP also does not support Gtk 4.x which is the subject of another request I put forward. I am aware that Pete (and possibly others) have been working hard to wrap the IUP libraries. I just felt that I needed to advise the forum of the situation. Maybe Irv can continue with his Gtk project ?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Is the IUP project dead ?

srb623 said...

Generally I develop my applications in C/C++ and use the IUP GUI but have dabbled in Euphoria. Over six months ago I put in a request for Linux 6.x support. This request has not been acknowledged or actioned.

It's probably not for us to pronounce it dead but I've certainly noticed that there have been no official releases in nearly three years. You may want to reach out to Tecgraf or Scuri directly.

srb623 said...

As I build from subversion I note that there have not been any updates for seven months. The code that you can download and build is about three years behind subversion. IUP also does not support Gtk 4.x which is the subject of another request I put forward.

I'm curious what your experience has been building from SVN. What platform are you building for/on? Are you using the Tecmake scripts?

srb623 said...

I am aware that Pete (and possibly others) have been working hard to wrap the IUP libraries. I just felt that I needed to advise the forum of the situation.

I was planning to include IUP wrappers in the release of Euphoria 4.2, bundled with the binaries from IUP 3.30 and a full compliment of demos.

srb623 said...

Maybe Irv can continue with his Gtk project ?

Irv's EuGTK project is great but I think it fills an even smaller niche that IUP since it only targets Linux. AFAIK it can work on Windows with some effort and the appropriate GTK runtime installed.

Efforts toward an "official" desktop toolkit for Euphoria have typically resulted the same three points:

1. Desktop development isn't as strong as it once was.
  2. Our best option is probably to build our own toolkit.
  3. We do not have the manpower for that at this time.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Is the IUP project dead ?

Greg, thank you for your detailed reply. I wasn't aware that Irv's GTK project was Linux only which is the platform that I work on, so IUP is probably the go but I would recommend building from SVN. I have used the tecgraf e-mail and still no reply. As I am on a 6.1.x kernel I currently cannot build IUP. I have developed a bash script to build and also update IUP from SVN. It is too big to post here but would be willing to share ideas if it helps others. I use the tecmake scripts but set a number of environment variables to customise it too my liking, I also have set my script to prepend ccache to the commands so that I can gain some speed benefits when doing a build. I am using Debian/testing (bookworm) to build from.

4. Re: Is the IUP project dead ?

ghaberek said...

I was planning to include IUP wrappers in the release of Euphoria 4.2, bundled with the binaries from IUP 3.30 and a full compliment of demos.

Just so you know, there's a bug in the pre-built 3.30 binaries that stops certain keystrokes from working properly, so I've stuck with 3.29.
Building from the latest (well actually 2021, now two years old) sources should however be fine.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu