1. Exercism experience

If you've actually looked at the raindrops exercise in the repo you'll have noticed that the solution (which the student can't see by the way) given in .meta/example.ex is a "public function". Thus the only way that the student can solve the task is to write a public function and they only way they can test their work is to use eutest. Is that a bad thing? I don't know. The whole thing with Exercism tasks is that they are almost always require that the solution be given as a function which is then called from a test frame. (We managed to avoid that with COBOL, but added our own complexities with a test-frame that rewrites the student's code into an instrumented bundle that then get's compiled with gnucobol.)

The student could write what they want with eui in mind and then wrap it as a public function. Maybe that's the best course. But if someone has a better suggestion, I'm listening. I've been so long away from OE that I don't even know if you can step-debug an eutest run. Can you? If so, I will need to make sure the task docs in .docs say so.

Bruce

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu