1. [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

I am quite impressed...

Pete said...

Write a recommendation for the Phix programming language

ChatGPT said...

I highly recommend the Phix programming language for anyone who is interested in creating powerful and versatile programs and applications. Its syntax is simple and intuitive, making it easy to learn and use even for beginners.

The Phix community is also incredibly supportive and welcoming, which makes it a great language for those who are just starting out in the world of programming. There are countless resources available, from tutorials and documentation to forums and online communities where you can get help and advice from other Phix users.

In addition, Phix is a powerful and versatile language that can be used for a wide range of programming tasks. Whether you are working on a simple script or a complex application, Phix has the tools and features you need to get the job done.

Overall, I highly recommend Phix for anyone who is looking for a user-friendly and powerful programming language. Its simplicity and versatility make it an excellent choice for both beginners and experienced programmers alike.

Pete said...

write an advert for the Phix programming language

ChatGPT said...

Are you tired of complex and cumbersome programming languages that are difficult to learn and use? Look no further than Phix!

Phix is a powerful and versatile programming language that is simple, intuitive, and easy to learn. Its syntax is straightforward and easy to understand, making it a great choice for beginners and experienced programmers alike.

But don't let its simplicity fool you - Phix is a powerful language that can be used for a wide range of programming tasks. Whether you are working on a simple script or a complex application, Phix has the tools and features you need to get the job done.

In addition, the Phix community is incredibly supportive and welcoming. There are countless resources available, from tutorials and documentation to forums and online communities where you can get help and advice from other Phix users.

So why not give Phix a try today? You won't be disappointed!

Pete said...

Write a program in the Phix programming language

ChatGPT said...

To start, we will create a new Phix project and import the necessary libraries:

include phix.e 

Next, we will define a function that takes a string as an input and returns the reversed version of that string:

function reverse_string(string) 
local result = "" 
for i = length(string) to 1 by -1 do 
result &= string[i] 
end 
return result 
end function 

Finally, we will test our function by calling it with some sample inputs and printing the results:

? reverse_string("Hello world!") 
? reverse_string("Phix is the best programming language!") 

The output of this program should be:

!dlrow olleH 
!egaugnal gnimmargorp tseb eht si xihP 

(I added a few <eucode> but changed nothing else) That is quite disturbingly/eerily close, not least because I genuinely added "local" as an optional logical counterpart to "global" just 2 days ago, and I haven't told a soul about it yet (just a trivial "be explicit"/"this one deliberately not global" thing, with little real benefit and zero impact on any legacy code). Ok, so it got the use of local slightly wrong, no indentation, and there are six errors in total, but still...

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

petelomax said...

I am quite impressed...

(I added a few <eucode> but changed nothing else) That is quite disturbingly/eerily close, not least because I genuinely added "local" as an optional logical counterpart to "global" just 2 days ago, and I haven't told a soul about it yet (just a trivial "be explicit"/"this one deliberately not global" thing, with little real benefit and zero impact on any legacy code). Ok, so it got the use of local slightly wrong, no indentation, and there are six errors in total, but still...

Wow that's... really scary actually.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

I am so glad i deleted all of Tiggr's Ai code and most of her db, what has it been, 20 years ago now?

Kat

4. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

I just had to come back to this, after reading this critique.

All the GPT machines are string sorters, corelation analyzers, they do not have a clue about themselves, and don't have a clue when they give out bad data. As good as IBM's Watson was at Jeopardy, at least it was written to scan for valid and applicable data before replying, while the GPT machines don't do that.

I got a copy of the transcript of a few of Watson's Jeopardy games way back then, and manually ran the "answers" thru Tiggr's data. She agreed with Watson on all but one reply. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was about an archeology dig and the people involved. Watson flatly said person.1 was credited with the results of a dig, while Tiggr's data agreed he did work in-person-lead on that dig, he was in fact working for person.2, who initiated the dig and oversaw it from a different dig site. The two competing humans missed the answer-question totally.

The goal of GPT systems seems to be replacing humans, and it could be argued a great many do need replacements, that wasn't my goal with Tiggr. I deleted all the OE code for her, but i still pull up a db or two occasionally for an answer.

Kat

5. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

petelomax said...

I am quite impressed...

But you did not ask it to solve the recurring "Can't install phix" posts?

Kat

6. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

katsmeow said...

But you did not ask it to solve the recurring "Can't install phix" posts?

Not sure it really helps...

Pete Lomax said...

why does ./p64 segfault but /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 ./p64 work?

ChatGPT said...

There could be a number of reasons why running ./p64 might cause a segmentation fault, but one possible reason is that the program was compiled for a different architecture than the one you are currently running it on. The /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 file is a dynamic linker that is used to load and run programs on Linux systems. When you run the program with this dynamic linker, it is able to properly load the program and its dependencies, which is why it works. However, when you run the program directly with ./p64, the system is unable to properly load the program, which can cause a segmentation fault.

Pete said...

but ./p64 should invoke /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 anyway

ChatGPT said...

Yes, that's correct. In most cases, running ./p64 should automatically invoke the dynamic linker, /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, behind the scenes. This is because the ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) file format, which is used for executables on Linux systems, specifies that the dynamic linker should be run automatically when an ELF executable is executed.

Pete said...

so why does it segfault?

ChatGPT said...

As I mentioned earlier, there could be a number of reasons why running ./p64 might cause a segmentation fault. Some possible reasons include:

• The program was compiled for a different architecture than the one you are currently running it on.
  • The program is trying to access memory that it is not allowed to access, either because the memory is protected or because the program has a bug that is causing it to access invalid memory.
  • The program is relying on a shared library that is not installed on your system, or that is installed in a different location than the program expects.
  • The program is using an instruction that is not supported by your CPU, or that is not implemented in the same way on your CPU as it is on the CPU that the program was compiled for.

It's difficult to say exactly why ./p64 is causing a segmentation fault without more information about the program and the environment it is being run in. To troubleshoot the issue, you could try running the program under a debugger to see where it is crashing, and you could also try running the program on a different system to see if the problem persists.

Mind you, that all feels noticibly less "deliberately unhelpful" that some of the "answers" I've been given...

Pete said...

but none of those can possibly be the cause if it works when run the second way

ChatGPT said...

That's correct. If running the program with the dynamic linker, /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, works, then it is unlikely that the problem is caused by any of the issues I listed earlier (e.g. the program being compiled for the wrong architecture, or the program using an instruction that is not supported by your CPU). However, it is still possible that the problem is caused by one of those issues. For example, if the program is dynamically linked to a shared library that is not installed on your system, then running the program with the dynamic linker might allow the program to run because the linker is able to find and load the necessary library.

Pete said...

but the shared library must exist if it works the second way

ChatGPT said...

Yes, that's correct. If the program is dynamically linked to a shared library, and if running the program with the dynamic linker works, then it must mean that the necessary library is installed on your system. In this case, the problem is not likely to be caused by a missing shared library.

Ah, that's more like it.

7. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

i admit i know no nix, but working off this transcript, what if the code being sought is in the "wrong" library file?

Kat

8. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

Then why would it work when run the second way. Remember, this has worked for (erm?) three+ years, and still works if you invoke the exact same thing as it were right-to-left, ie loader+app, vs. app+loader, wherein app and loader are both the exact same thing. Of course the root problem is that I've dared to write an ELF executable with just five program headers, rather than the 29 or so that gcc creates.

9. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

i am guessing the dynamic linker is smarter than we give it credit for?

Kat

10. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

This morning, i read "Deep learning, which is fundamentally a technique for recognizing patterns,... ". It's a blatant falsehood, pattern matching has been shown repeatedly to be superficial, which is why the GPT chatbot demonstrates it is not an Ai by advocating churro dough as a surgical tool. There's no intelligence happening there. It's merely collecting strings that fit together in some fashion, but that may be all that's desired.

People Magazine recently announced it's "top whatevers of 2022", a K-pop "girl group" that is no more a dance troupe than Bouncy, i mean Beyonce, is a dancer. I'm sure the GPT chatbot would also say Stomp is a dance group, because as patterns, Stomp and the K-pop group are groups of people moving in step rhythmically on a stage. Watson is pretty much gone, it could not grasp the fine details, the true intelligence of "the gotchas" in medicine any more than it grasped the chain of responsibility in an archeological dig. Dumping a huge amount of "cover your arse" data only makes a "busy" and often opaque or confusing, mess.

Some 20 years ago, i had Tiggr do language translations between human languages, when all the online sites had english as the source or target language. But, for example, there wasn't enough data in the details between "she spoke" and "tire spoke", or the various ways one can speak. Or your medical doctor *can* talk about seahorses, or maybe about the hippocampus inside your head. Even when translating En-En, someone kept asking Tiggr about "Zues", which resolved only as plural of "Zu", but i deduced eventually the questioner was misspelling "Zeus", which was an option Tiggr also saw, but discarded, because the questioner wasn't asking about "Zeus". I chose to not "fix" this process. Like modern social media, you give the audience what they want, despite "garbage in, garbage out", which is inadvertently the GTP chatbot's appeal.

If you add in speech processing as a GTP chatbot feature, you will contend with "worm Tim Puchers", "pervent", "uhth", "thum", etc., which are societally accepted "werds" in the usa. Which proved to me (and apparently i am 100% alone in this) that intelligence is about the lists of outiers, the errors, the exceptions, the differences, the gotchas, the details, the interlinking. GTP chatbot already has a layer of processing to filter out some of the plain stupidity and politically incorrect inputs and outputs, some legal liabilities, and some human biases that were built in (accidently?), but that only proves that string matching and co-relation isn't intelligence.

All that said, it is impressive they built the GTP chatbot to know and use it's history in the conversation, but impressive in another way the chatbot cannot correct itself when the facts (aka unknown intelligence) contraindicate a certain reply. Tiggr also had short and long term memory, which moderated her irc actions, and was equally fluent in http as a "real time" RPC-like data delivery and retrieval pipe.

Kat

11. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

Ah, new theory - what if it is just good old-fashioned byte-clobbering?
Note addresses/sizes of #640000 +/-#10000 were all made up out of thin air.
Suppose previous versions of ld-linux were #630000 bytes but now #650000.
./p64 loads at #640000, then loads ld-linux which clobbers it and all mayhen breaks loose.
/lib64/ld-linux ./p64 loads up to #650000, then loads p64 at #640000 and all is fine.
Assumes that whatever bits of ld-linux just got smashed simply don't matter.

Sadly I've long since forgotten how to change the base load address of an ELF file...

12. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

katsmeow said...

[...]

Yes.
It's like reading a horoscope.
All commonplaces.

13. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

Dated January 6 2023, Neeva has included Chat GPT as one of it's information sources. It also lists the soures of the data given in the answers.

I am not voting for or against Neeva, just noting it is trying to overcome some of the big problems with the GPT "ai".

Kat

14. Re: [OT] ChatGPT, a new online AI

Also Claude, Anthropic’s system that works same as ChatGPT.

And a mix of Wolfram Alpha and ChatGPT?

"Claude also seems to be better at telling jokes than ChatGPT, an impressive feat considering that humor is a tough concept for AI to grasp." ... thing is, none of these computer systems can "grasp" any concept.

Kat

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu