1. Anyone using EuGTK?

Recent changes to GTK, specifically the libwebkit-4 web browser, mean that updates to EuGTK are necessary. If anyone is actually using EuGTK,I will work on updating, otherwise it would be a waste of time.

Let me know, thanks.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Anyone using EuGTK?

Not me, but that shouldn't be a reason to not do it.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Anyone using EuGTK?

Guess the answer is no.

4. Re: Anyone using EuGTK?

Sadly, appear that the users are very few today. But if the important tools don't work well, never will be more people here.

I am not not user of GUI, I mainly look for web and console tools. But for the new people that arrives here:

What is now the more used GUI for Euphoria 4? Or better What is the set of libraries we can recommended for new people?

Marco Achury

5. Re: Anyone using EuGTK?

irv said...

Guess the answer is no.

I wouldn't be too discouraged, Irv. The question is, do you use EuGTK and if so, what do you use it for? Overall we're in stuck in Catch-22 paradox caused by two mutually-exclusive problems:

• Very few people use Euphoria because Euphoria does not do the things most people want.

• Euphoria does not do the things most people want because very few people use Euphoria.

How do we break out of this loop? We do things that may not seem necessary now because they will (hopefully) be necessary later. Does anyone use EuGTK right now? Maybe not. But if someone comes along looking to build GTK apps with Euphoria, having EuGTK available may help bootstrap many other possibilities. We have a lot of things around here that need to be done that might be a better use of your time if you want to put EuGTK on hold for a while.

achury said...

Sadly, appear that the users are very few today. But if the important tools don't work well, never will be more people here.

I am not not user of GUI, I mainly look for web and console tools. But for the new people that arrives here:

What is now the more used GUI for Euphoria 4? Or better What is the set of libraries we can recommended for new people?

We have gone round and round about which is the "best" library for making desktop apps in Euphoria. But desktop apps just aren't as necessary as they once were, especially with things like Electron allowing browser-based apps to run on the desktop. (It's objectively an awful way to make desktop apps but apparently insanely popular.) I think that for the time being "desktop" should not be a primary focus for Euphoria. I'd rather focus on "features" and building out better tooling and libraries for making "console" and "web" development better, faster, and stronger.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu