1. EuMVC:Map to Json

@ghaberek, or anybody who knows,

Is there a map_to_json() available in Greg's json lib?

(If not, there should be. grin)

Also, if not, how would I do it?

Thank you!

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: EuMVC:Map to Json

euphoric said...

@ghaberek, or anybody who knows,

(If not, there should be. grin)

Also, if not, how would I do it?

Thank you!

You're right, there should be, but Euphoria isn't typed strongly enough to make a one-to-one translation from a map to JSON, so some type information has to be specified manually.

I originally did try storing JSON objects as maps but I had no way of reading back value types beyond "atom or sequence" and since maps are just atoms I couldn't tell a regular number from any other JSON type.

This is why I opted to just reference everything with its type as {type,value}. Another snag is that Euphoria maps accept any key, but JSON keys can only be strings, so there are significant limits with trying to convert maps to JSON.

That being said, I just pushed v1.15.0 which includes a new json_import() function just for you (complete with docs). I've posted a simple test program below.

(P.S. this also helped me find a bug in json_print() that would totally screw up numbers by printing them with unnecessary scientific notation!)

include std/map.e 
include std/types.e 
include mvc/json.e 

map color_map = map:new_from_kvpairs({ 
    { "black",   #000000 }, 
    { "maroon",  #800000 }, 
    { "green",   #008000 }, 
    { "olive",   #808000 }, 
    { "navy",    #000080 }, 
    { "purple",  #800080 }, 
    { "teal",    #008080 }, 
    { "silver",  #C0C0C0 }, 
    { "grey",    #808080 }, 
    { "red",     #FF0000 }, 
    { "lime",    #00FF00 }, 
    { "yellow",  #FFFF00 }, 
    { "blue",    #0000FF }, 
    { "fuchsia", #FF00FF }, 
    { "aqua",    #00FFFF }, 
    { "white",   #FFFFFF } 
}) 

procedure main() 

object json = json_import( color_map ) 

if json[J_TYPE] = JSON_NONE then 
        printf( 2, "%s\n", {json_last_error()} ) 
    end if 

json_print( 1, json,, TRUE ) 

end procedure 

main() 

Output are integers because JSON doesn't support hexadecimal notation.

{ 
    "aqua": 65535, 
    "black": 0, 
    "blue": 255, 
    "fuchsia": 16711935, 
    "green": 32768, 
    "grey": 8421504, 
    "lime": 65280, 
    "maroon": 8388608, 
    "navy": 128, 
    "olive": 8421376, 
    "purple": 8388736, 
    "red": 16711680, 
    "silver": 12632256, 
    "teal": 32896, 
    "white": 16777215, 
    "yellow": 16776960 
} 

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: EuMVC:Map to Json

ghaberek said...

You're right, there should be, but Euphoria isn't typed strongly enough to make a one-to-one translation from a map to JSON, so some type information has to be specified manually.

What I did, at least when parsing json and not that it has anything to do with maps, dunno if this will help:
•Numbers and Strings (without quotes) are held natively
•An object is held as a sequence with a first element of -1 (JSON_OBJECT),and the rest pairs, the first of which is a string and the second any of these types.
•An array is held as a sequence with a first element of -2 (JSON_ARRAY),and the rest any of these types.
•A keyword is held as a sequence with a first element of -3 (JSON_KEYWORD),and one of the strings "true", "false", or "null".

4. Re: EuMVC:Map to Json

petelomax said...
ghaberek said...

What I did, at least when parsing json and not that it has anything to do with maps, dunno if this will help:
•Numbers and Strings (without quotes) are held natively
•An object is held as a sequence with a first element of -1 (JSON_OBJECT),and the rest pairs, the first of which is a string and the second any of these types.
•An array is held as a sequence with a first element of -2 (JSON_ARRAY),and the rest any of these types.
•A keyword is held as a sequence with a first element of -3 (JSON_KEYWORD),and one of the strings "true", "false", or "null".

That does help. I may use this approach when I pull the JSON parser over from EuMVC into Euphoria standard library, which I'm hoping to do for 4.2 release. Thanks!

-Greg

5. Re: EuMVC:Map to Json

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

Euphoria isn't typed strongly enough to make a one-to-one translation from a map to JSON, so some type information has to be specified manually.

Ah. OK.

Thank you!

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu