1. Freeglut Wrapper?

Hello all,

Would a Freeglut wrapper be of any benefit? For the new version of Freeglut.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Freeglut Wrapper?

Hi Andy

It would certainly be of interest (to me at least), but I'm not sure how much benefit there would be to the community.

I seem to be playing more with Godot and AppGameKit Studio and Micro Studio these days, which are all in one development systems. This is where the killer app lies, and eu would fill this nicely.

So here's the challenge to you Andy (as this is above my ability / time availability), create an all in one development system, using, and hiding, ONE of the libraries you have created (so as not to dilute, complicate,confuse), that uses Eu as it's language.

Or how about a Vulkan wrapper,as this is C rather than C++ based.

Pease don't get despondent - I love your wrappers, and converting them to Phix - you've already done the hard work!

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Freeglut Wrapper?

ChrisB said...

So here's the challenge to you Andy (as this is above my ability / time availability), create an all in one development system, using, and hiding, ONE of the libraries you have created (so as not to dilute, complicate,confuse), that uses Eu as it's language.

Typically SDL is a good base for a game engine, as it's cross-platform but only provides the lowest-level bits, leaving the rest of the features to be written directly in the native language (physics, assets, rendering, etc.)

You could combine that with an immediate mode GUI like Nuklear if you want to create an actual game editor interface.

-Greg

4. Re: Freeglut Wrapper?

ghaberek said...
ChrisB said...

Typically SDL is a good base for a game engine, as it's cross-platform but only provides the lowest-level bits, leaving the rest of the features to be written directly in the native language (physics, assets, rendering, etc.)

You could combine that with an immediate mode GUI like Nuklear if you want to create an actual game editor interface.

-Greg

I'll probably take a crack at the freeglut wrapper after I'm done with my current project. I'd be intersted in wrapping Nuklear, but its only a header file. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to make it a DLL. Though the structs in it may prove cumbersome. The Orx engine wrapper will have to be put on hold for now. Though I guess I could wrap the functions in the Orx DLL and then convert the inline functions to Eu code at a later date, but that will/would all come later.

EDIT: Thanks for the support and encouragement, Chris. I have thought about doing a Vulkan Wrapper, but it would be a lot of work(lots of structs and low-level routines). Though it is something I may attempt at a later time.

5. Re: Freeglut Wrapper?

I was contemplating this just the other week, and may even help out if I can. Cross-platform and maybe even js/webgl-compatible would be nice.

There are at least three potential starting points already in PCAN, admittedly 17..20 years old.

6. Re: Freeglut Wrapper?

petelomax said...

I was contemplating this just the other week, and may even help out if I can. Cross-platform and maybe even js/webgl-compatible would be nice.

There are at least three potential starting points already in PCAN, admittedly 17..20 years old.

That's good to hear. This new version or rather the newest version of Freeglut is 3.2.1 I believe. Last updated in 2019, so not too old. I've already started working on it, but its in the very early stages. I have a few projects I'm working on at the moment. Including this one, (the Freeglut wrapper).

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu