1. freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

https://digitpatrox.com/freenode-commits-suicide-is-no-longer-a-serious-irc-network/

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

Are you going to migrate to Libera?

PS: I have been having trouble connecting there. I cannot verify SASL is working with mirc, and i suspect the servers are refusing the connection based on the vpn's ip address before seeing the SASL credentials.

Maybe a network dedicated solely to FOSS software is a bad match for someone not using a FOSS irc client.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

katsmeow said...

Are you going to migrate to Libera?

PS: I have been having trouble connecting there. I cannot verify SASL is working with mirc, and i suspect the servers are refusing the connection based on the vpn's ip address before seeing the SASL credentials.

Maybe a network dedicated solely to FOSS software is a bad match for someone not using a FOSS irc client.

I see people in #help and #chanhelp are confused about why their nicks and channels are no longer registered, and some people saying things like "the new software in not compatible with the old software" as the reason why they didn't migrate the database to the new system.

I'd say: no, it's just HORRIBLE customer support. NEVER break the user's experience on purpose when you don't need to, especially without warning or official announcement so people know what's going on! And i find it hard to believe that nobody could figure out how to write a script to convert from the old db to the new db. Especially since they have the full source code to both! (Ya know, being FOSS and all.)

I think a lot of users that were on the fence about the new management and were willing to give them a chance just got a swift kick off the fence.

I just registered my nick and channels on ircs://irc.libera.chat:6697. You can find me on #redy or #rhodaplot.

4. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

I recently set up a Discord server for OpenEuphoria. Feel free to join us there, if you'd like. https://discord.gg/urQF5JyCrV

-Greg

5. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

ghaberek said...

I recently set up a Discord server for OpenEuphoria. Feel free to join us there, if you'd like. https://discord.gg/urQF5JyCrV

-Greg

Definition of "discord" : Lack of concord, agreement or harmony; Tension or strife resulting from a lack of agreement; dissension, An inharmonious combination of simultaneously sounded tones; a dissonance; Any harsh noise, or confused mingling of sounds.

There were pages of log ins and captchas and then a "Need an account? Register". There wasn't anything about what i was getting myself into. No mention of irc.

What is it?

Kat

6. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

ghaberek said...

-Greg

"Based on the information you provided, we can't create an account for you right now."

Kat

7. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

katsmeow said...

Definition of "discord" : Lack of concord, agreement or harmony; Tension or strife resulting from a lack of agreement; dissension, An inharmonious combination of simultaneously sounded tones; a dissonance; Any harsh noise, or confused mingling of sounds.

I'm sorry Kat, I didn't name the darn thing. A lot of product names are punny and ironic.

katsmeow said...

There were pages of log ins and captchas and then a "Need an account? Register". There wasn't anything about what i was getting myself into. No mention of irc.

Welcome to the Internet in 2021.

katsmeow said...

What is it?

A free-to-use hosted text and voice chat platform. It's more like Slack than IRC. Their website does a pretty good job of describing what it is and is not: https://discord.com/why-discord-is-different

katsmeow said...

"Based on the information you provided, we can't create an account for you right now."

It looks like it worked? Shows you signed in at 5:33 PM EDT.

-Greg

8. Re: freenode wiped all nicks and channels without warning!?

ghaberek said...
katsmeow said...

It looks like it worked? Shows you signed in at 5:33 PM EDT.

I "signed in" to the invitation url you provided. I was unable to "log in" to an "account", because it refused to make the "account", i posted the error msg here. Ergo, i am not in that "web forum".

Kat

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu