1. Raspberry PI and OE

I have been fortunate enough to be given a Raspberry Pi, and I'm delighted with the little cutie. It took me at least 10 minutes to set up everything I needed from it, and now we are good friends. Except... it doesn't have OE on it. So I'm about to begin the journey of getting OE up and running. I only intend to use/make console apps for it, so the machine's speed is not really an issue. Thankfully, there is a good Wiki for the RaspberryPi (thanks Irv). Wish me luck.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

I did a little experimenting a few years ago (years!)

https://youtu.be/t5Yv_gdKbVE

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

Eu works fine on the Raspberry Pi, and even EuGTK programs *run* fine, including the complex Bear editor/web viewer, which is still my go-to web page editor. Startup time is slow. Binding helps a lot, as does compiling, but that takes a while.

Edit to add: BTW - if your Pi doesn't have a fan, get one. They run hot! $>vcgencmd measure_temp will prove that, or you can put a little temp monitor on the screen: https://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/TempMonitor.wc I keep this running all the time. The Argon fan hat (about $12 US) works well, I have several.

Too bad that Phix can't easily be ported to the Raspberry Pi, that would run very fast indeed.

4. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

irv said...

Too bad that Phix can't easily be ported to the Raspberry Pi, that would run very fast indeed.

My thoughts exactly. Except, in theory Phix could be ported to the Raspberry Pi, but the effort required would be huge. Pete once said it would take at least three years of hard work to port Phix to the ARM architecture. And since he is working on Phix all alone, it really seems that it will not happen. Too bad.

Does anyone know of any Intel-based microcontroller? Porting Phix to an Intel architecture would be easier, I imagine.

5. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

GreenEuphorian said...

Does anyone know of any Intel-based microcontroller? Porting Phix to an Intel architecture would be easier, I imagine.

Atomic Pi? About $40 US from Amazon, has x86-64 bit processor, comes preloaded with Ubuntu.

6. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

A little more info on my Pi setup, perhaps it will be useful to someone:

I use a 120 gig usb SSD instead of the microSD card.

The sd cards will eventually "wear out" with multiple r/w operations (they claim, I haven't had it happen. Yet.).

The SSD should have a longer lifespan than a microSD card. Faster, too, and the same size as a Pi.

When adding almost anything to a Pi via usb, you're going to exceed the limits of the power supply*, so a powered hub is a good idea. Keyboard, mouse, SSD, thumbdrives, camera, and other usb stuff you need can plug in there, instead of into the Pi usb ports.

*note: this is not exactly true. The power supply may be 2 or 3 amps, but it feeds the Pi via a micro-usb connector. Which, if I'm not mistaken, was designed to carry half an amp max. Therefore, your average usb to micro usb cables aren't designed to handle more than .5 amp. Thin wires = voltage drop. You may have to try several different cables before you find one heavy enough to supply full voltage, and get that pesky "low voltage" warning to go away.

7. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

irv said...

The sd cards will eventually "wear out" with multiple r/w operations (they claim, I haven't had it happen. Yet.).

I have killed several microSD cards by running Raspberry Pi devices in busy environments. Some of them were even "high quality" Samsung cards.

Sustained heat may also be a factor, as the cards that died were in pretty warm server closets.

But I know for certain that there was a lot of I/O going on in order to perform the monitoring I was doing with Check-MK.

-Greg

8. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

You are certainly correct about the heat. I added a finned heat sink to the microSD socket, since it got extremely warm after a while. Later, I found out that it is easy to boot from an external SSD, so the card isn't needed anymore.

9. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

irv said...

You are certainly correct about the heat. I added a finned heat sink to the microSD socket, since it got extremely warm after a while. Later, I found out that it is easy to boot from an external SSD, so the card isn't needed anymore.

For anyone reading along, all Raspberry Pi devices since 2B+ can be set to boot from a USB mass storage device (thumb drive, HDD, SSD, etc.)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

What's interesting is that the change to the firmware is permanent:

raspberrypi said...

To enable USB host boot mode, the Raspberry Pi needs to be booted from an SD card with a special option to set the USB host boot mode bit in the one-time programmable (OTP) memory. Once this bit has been set, the SD card is no longer required. Note that any change you make to the OTP is permanent and cannot be undone.

And that also prevents some devices from ever being able to boot as a USB device itself (like, pretending to be a USB keyboard):

raspberrypi said...

On the Raspberry Pi 3A+, setting the OTP bit to enable USB host boot mode will permanently prevent that Pi from booting in USB device mode.

-Greg

10. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

Should note that after doing this, you still have the option to boot from a microSD card. Just unplug the USB drive, and plug in a card.

Further note, booting from SSD USB drive isn't any faster (for my setup) than booting from microSD.

Loading programs and saving data seems to be faster.

11. Re: Raspberry PI and OE

While we're on this topic, one of the best things you can do is to install a different desktop on the Pi. This one works for me, has a much better file manager and looks professional. Installation is simple:

https://raspberrytips.com/best-apps-raspberry-pi/#XFCE4

Next step is to install an intuitive, drag-and-drop archive handler:

sudo apt-get install nemo-fileroller

Last, but not least, a lightweight version of Firefox:

sudo apt-get install iceweasel

Just these three steps make a huge difference in the look, feel, and functionality of Raspbian and the Pi. The new window manager seems more responsive than the one which comes with Raspbian, and is certainly better looking.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu