1. Precedence testing

I've added six new operators to phix:

&& - bitwise and, same as and_bits(lhs,rhs) 
|| - bitwise or, same as or_bits(lhs,rhs) 
>> - shift right, same as floor(lhs/power(2,rhs)) 
<< - shift left, same as lhs*power(2,rhs) 
~ - same as length(rhs) [unary] 
. - subscripts and/or struct/class members 

and obviously they deserve proper precedence handling. At the same time, I'm going to split == and != to have a slightly lower precedence to < > <= and >= (in line with the rest of the planet, bar Python).

Of course that means I could easily spanner things, and realised the test suite does not actually have a proper set of precedence-related tests, so I'm about to pen a new tests/t66prec.exw and populate it with things like:

2+3*4 is 2 + (3 * 4) = 14, not (2 + 3) * 4 = 20. 
    2*3+4 is (2 * 3) + 4 = 10, not 2 * (3 + 4) = 14. 
    1-2+3 is (1 - 2) + 3 = 2, not 1 - (2 + 3) = -4 

and figured I may as well ask on here for any similar examples anyone thinks should be added.

The new precedence table will be:

highest precedence:     parenthesis/function/type calls/ternary operator 

subscripts/slices  . 

unary-  unary+  not  ~ 

*  / 

+  - 

>> << 

& 

<  >  <=  >= 

=  != 

&& || 

and  or  xor 

lowest precedence:      { , , , } 

Note that phix does not really do associativity handling: of course unary operators are right associative, because they have to be, but everything else is left associative. For example

a*b/c*d/e is ((((a*b)/c)*d)/e) 
a*-b/c*not d/e is ((((a*(-b))/c)*(not d))/e) 

So, if you've got any (perhaps slightly less obvious) code snippets you'd rather not see broken, or any other comments, post 'em here!

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Precedence testing

petelomax said...

I've added six new operators to phix:

&& - bitwise and, same as and_bits(lhs,rhs) 
|| - bitwise or, same as or_bits(lhs,rhs) 
>> - shift right, same as floor(lhs/power(2,rhs)) 
<< - shift left, same as lhs*power(2,rhs) 
~ - same as length(rhs) [unary] 
. - subscripts and/or struct/class members 

This might tempt me to drop Eu 2010 in favour of Phix 2020. What about about !! and ^^ for not_bits() & xor_bits() ? Presumably the equivalent assignment operators will be there as well. For c2ypt0 apps perhaps >>> and <<<? Mind you, a decent integrated assembler would make such bit-twiddling tricks redundant. I have about 90 ASM fragments in my base library to speed up various graphics functions. I use fasm4e but the calling overhead dominates for small functions. Eg, the following ASM code is only about 30% faster than Eu.

"mov eax, rgb", 
"bswap eax", 
"shr eax, 8", 
"ret eax" 
[Orac code follows] 

-- Use for when a colour value is BGR but you need to convert it to RGB (or vice versa) 
int b = (rgb && #FF) * 65536 
int g = rgb && #FF00 
int r = floor((rgb && #FF0000)/65536) 
return b || g || r 

How does Phix compare for context switching?

Spock

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Precedence testing

Spock said...

What about about !! and ^^ for not_bits() & xor_bits() ? For c2ypt0 apps perhaps >>> and <<< ?

Sorry, not yet in. &&= and ||= are already in, but not <<= and >>=.
I suspect a bitwise not should really be `~~` instead of `!!`, which has already found some real-world use in other languages, as a logical "not not".
Are 32-bit rotates still 32-bit rotates on 64-bit? anyway, asm:

Spock said...

How does Phix compare for context switching?

Very well, especially when inline. In fact just a couple of weeks ago I penned this which boosted performance compared to non-asm by 90%, although I ended up with something 1000 times better even than that.
A hll call/return won't be so great, but you can define a global label, eg #ilASM{ :!myGlobal ... ret} and #ilASM{ call myGlobal }, which is pretty much what quite a few of the "true builtins" do.

PS I actually managed to make a copy of Orac run on Phix - not very stable and probably still riddled with "illegal-sequence-ops" though, plus I suspect you'd be way better off modifying phix directly than persisting with that approach.

4. Re: Precedence testing

Just to let y'all know: I finally got the new precedence levels in, all settled and working, took about ten times longer than expected, but alls well..

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu