1. Ideas

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for libraries that could use a Euphoria wrapper? I know I've written quite a bit, but I'm itching to write some more Euphoria code, but I can't come up with any ideas at the moment.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Ideas

A simple svg editor, ideally written in Phix/pGUI, with ability to save as png.
Most of the ones I have yet found are just too fancy/complex. At heart, svg format
is pretty simple, it just gets a bit much drawing animated tigers.
I wrapped librsvg a year or so ago before
a) baulking at 13 dlls @ 15MB, and
b) realising that it really does not need to be all that complicated.
Something a bit like Visio, or maybe (not that there is any useful source for this) http://lambdaway.free.fr/lambdawalks/?view=interactive_cubic
You may be able to nick some snippets from demo\rosetta\7guis\CircleDraw.exw and/or demo\rosetta\Morpion_solitaire.exw

A tv listing guide.
Periodically download some rss feeds or scrape some web pages (which must be configurable).
Show a standard scrollable/clickable tv listing grid layout, but also allow wild-card filters to ignore/highlight entries, and
omit any channels with nothing of interest in the current viewport.

Try your hand at improving demo\edix\Edix.exw or demo\edix\plade.exw.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Ideas

Hi

Win64lib

A killer game.

A 'to android' compiler

A raspberry pi easy install

A 'complete programming environment' installation

Not dll wraps I know.

Kind of sparks a more philosophical question. I don't do too much programming, because if I need something doing, turns out someone else has already written (in whatever language), which begs the question, whats the point? Eu is a gp language, but is there any need of a gp language anymore? The activity on this forum would tend to confirm that eu is not a popular language - perhaps it is too wide in it's scope, too much of a jack of all trades, but not a master of any. Python fills that gp niche just as well, and has a far greater user base.

I'm going to continue using eu, as it's so damn simple. I suspect I'll be in the minority now.

Cheers

Chris

4. Re: Ideas

My old favourite language is SNOBOL. It has pattern matching that puts regular expressions to shame.

The resource for SNOBOL is: http://www.snobol4.org/

There are two 'c' libraries for snobol pattern matching. A wrapped lib would be a valuable addition to both OE and Phix.

be well _tom

5. Re: Ideas

2 ideas:

1) Operating system snapshot with System restore. Ideally, a program's UI has two main buttons: (1) When the "Interrogate" button is clicked the system finds all instances of every program running and their associated data files, if any, and builds a database to be used when the second button is clicked; and, (2) When the "Restore" button is clicked, the database drives a complete restoration of the desktop. Click Interrogate to establish a restoration database. Shut down computer. Turn computer back and and after boot up, click Restore.

2) A routine which can be accessed through excel's cell formulas. For example, in cell A1 put =MyFunc(variable 1, variable 2, .... variable X) where X is the maximum number of variables supported (10?, 20?, 30?) and variables can be any valid single cell reference [extra credit if variables can reference ranges].

mike

6. Re: Ideas

These are all good ideas. Though I was hoping for something more gaming/multimedia related. Like maybe there was some other gaming or multimedia library that I could wrap, that hasn't been wrapped. But you never know, listing/generating ideas is always good.

7. Re: Ideas

A tilemap based game engine would be great! I don't know if exist any library like that....

8. Re: Ideas

xfox26 said...

A tilemap based game engine would be great! I don't know if exist any library like that....

A game engine that is tilemap based is a good idea. I know that the previous libraries I've wrapped could help with that. I did try making a game editor/engine back in the day in pure Euphoria, though I had to use some libraries not purely Euphoria related. However, using my EuSDL2 wrapper as the backbone of the engine and then a editor written in Euphoria using win32lib or something could be feasible.

9. Re: Ideas

Icy_Viking said...
xfox26 said...

A game engine that is tilemap based is a good idea. I know that the previous libraries I've wrapped could help with that. I did try making a game editor/engine back in the day in pure Euphoria, though I had to use some libraries not purely Euphoria related. However, using my EuSDL2 wrapper as the backbone of the engine and then a editor written in Euphoria using win32lib or something could be feasible.

Set up a repo somewhere, i'll try to help

10. Re: Ideas

ChrisB said...

Eu is a gp language, but is there any need of a gp language anymore?

Nice concise condensation of what i have tried to say here for many years. There are various programming features which have come before Euphoria/Phix, which aren't in the realm of "general purpose", which i'd still like to see in a language i can use. By "use", i mean i can think more of the goal of the program than the mechanics of writing the program into an ide. But so many people wanted to copy other general purpose languages, you got what you were aiming for: the same ole general purpose language as all the others, and nothing really attractive and noteworthy. What i heard here most often was "language X doesn't have it, so we don't need it either". And what if Physics or Biology sciences decided they didn't need any different words and concepts than Humanities used? If you want to step above language X, you must go beyond it. When you copy English, you know what you get? English.

That's all i had to say. Just pointing it out. Not going to try to change anything.

11. Re: Ideas

Icy_Viking said...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for libraries that could use a Euphoria wrapper? I know I've written quite a bit, but I'm itching to write some more Euphoria code, but I can't come up with any ideas at the moment.

Use Euphoria Tools https://github.com/shawnpringle/euphoriatools in order to start creation of wrappers. I will post about this later..

SD Pringle

12. Re: Ideas

SDPringle said...

Use Euphoria Tools https://github.com/shawnpringle/euphoriatools in order to start creation of wrappers. I will post about this later..

SD Pringle

A file in Euphoria tools requires JOY: joy

Thanks for sharing these libraries with us..

Regards,

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu