1. Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

Forked from Re: Is everybody okay?

ghaberek said...
irv said...

I can clearly remember dozens of people, including temporary interns, that I worked with 50 years ago. Is it normal to be so forgetful?

I'll acknowledge that everyone's memory works differently

I don't think it's a memory problem, to be fair.

irv said...

Since someone mentioned the evil "politics", here's a thought: I'm the same age as the Democrat Presidential candidate. He "can't remember" something that happened 27 years ago.

Well, what the people who were close to him at that time are saying seems to be along the lines of "I don't remember her and I don't remember that happening, and that's something I would have remembered if it had happened." Which seems to me to be a lawyer-inspired perjury-proof way of saying, "It didn't happen."

In other words, it's not faulty memory, it's a denial.

ghaberek said...

we can't expect to hold each other to our own personal standards.

Hmm. So, he's admitted to having in the past hugged women and etc in ways that simply are a violation of respect for one's personal space. However, he's also said that the times has changed and he will change his behaviour.

I think you are right. In any case, the best I can say here is that he's admitted he was wrong and he's learned from his mistakes.

ghaberek said...

I'm not going to defend him,

Fair.

If the allegation from 27 years ago is true, and he did it, then it's not defendable.

Also, my default mode is to believe the women, so ...

Actually, the only armchair theory that I've been able to come up with to square the circle here is

ghaberek said...

Plus he's a politician, so who knows what he's being truthful about.

Is it too much to ask for a truthful politician?

Senator said...

Probably the best solution:
We Need This Now!

A shame she's not eligible (yet) to run for vice president.

Lnettnay said...

I wish we had a "None of the Above" option like in the movie "Brewster's Millions". If neither candidate gets more than 50% of the vote we start over and neither candidate can run again. grin

Brilliant! I love it.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

AOC has already achieved most of her Green New Deal:

1. Eliminate fossil fuel production (check, nobody is driving, so we don't need gas)
2. Eliminate 99% of gasoline vehicles (parking them achieves the same purpose. check)
3. Eliminate air travel (check)
4. Free education (so far, only postponing the payments, half a check)
5. Free money for those unable or unwilling to work (check)
6. Ban meat (the virus shutting down packing plants will take care of that)

Two failures:

7. High-speed rail to replace air travel
8. Eliminate nuclear energy (no, because what's going to run the high-speed rail if they do this? Unicorns?)

So far, the only other things missing are a free, energy-efficient house, and free, healthy grain bowls for all.

I'm staying in my energy-efficient home (paid for by me), eating grain bowls (paid for by me), and still have almost a full tank of gasoline since my last fill up in March.

And I'm beginning to detest grain bowls.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

irv said...

Hello irv,

I greatly respect your opinion and I suspect that your post was a bit of a jest or at least tongue-in-cheek. (Which is good, we all need a bit more humor considering the worldwide situation.) However, in case someone takes it a bit too seriously, I'm going to give a serious response to your points. Hope no one considers me too much of a killjoy for doing so..

irv said...

1. Eliminate fossil fuel production (check, nobody is driving, so we don't need gas)

While travel overall has obviously gone down, driving seems to have gone down less so - and in fact there are several sources of bumps. More people are doing delivery now compared to pre-COVID. Also, essential workers who have the luxury seem to be more likely to drive to work now, where pre-COVID they may have taken public transportation.

Also, supply lines for commercial goods and so on seem to be mostly functioning as normal, so the usual emissions from those are continuing.

This isn't to say that driving overall hasn't gone down (it has), or that fossial fuel prices haven't taken a dive (they have), but some people are still driving and fossil fuel production is still continuing.

irv said...

2. Eliminate 99% of gasoline vehicles (parking them achieves the same purpose. check)

As I said above, delivery drivers, supply chain truckers, and essential workers are still driving. The 99% being parked might be true though - I don't have exact statistics, but obviously the majority of people are not driving on a regular basis.

Alas, electric cars are even more likely to be parked. (Fewer delivery drivers and gorcery store workers have an eletric car over a gasonline one, I'd imagine.)

irv said...

Actually, while it's been severely curtailed, air travel still happens. And I've been reading on the news that passengers rre worried because planes have been taking off more-or-less full. (The middle seat is not sold and left empty, but the plane is otherwise full.)

irv said...

From what I understand, 80% of meat in the US is processed by BigAgra plants where the outbreaks are happening, so the supply of meat would be greatly reduced by this, and prices would go up a lot - but meat would still be available to those who can afford the higher prices. There are smaller scale processing plants who can't handle the 80%, but they'll at least continue processing the 20% that they were getting before COVID.

That said, products like the Beyond Burger and the Impossible Burger stand to benefit greatly as they attempt to fill in the gap. I think PETA also supports an approch of "cloning" meat - extracting some muscle cells from an animal that is normally farmed and growing meat in vitro (while allowing the source animal to live a long fulfilling life and die of natural causes and be buried, etc).

irv said...

Two failures:

The biggest issue with the above is that this is thought to be all temporary - as soon as a vaccine or effective antiviral or similar treatment is developed, the above will all end as things "go back to normal". The Green New Deal folks want these things to be permanent IIUC.

irv said...

Yeah, fewer travelers overall means fewer train riders, let alone high speed rail users.

irv said...

8. Eliminate nuclear energy (no, because what's going to run the high-speed rail if they do this?

I don't think that's it. With everyone at home, people are using more power at home to run their computers and phones so they can do zoom meetings and the like. That said, this is offset by having fewer workplaces open. Still, demand is probably high enough that the power plants (including nuclear ones) are not in danger of geting shut down as a consequence of COVID.

irv said...

(no, because what's going to run the high-speed rail if they do this? Unicorns?)

Most likely power plants using clean coal and oil from frakking. I think idealy AOC's supporters would like renewables to fully take over, but I read somewhere that we're at least 100 years away from doing this.

irv said...

So far, the only other things missing are [...] free, healthy grain bowls for all.

Yeah, that was probably covered by point 5 above. :p

irv said...

I'm staying in my energy-efficient home (paid for by me), eating grain bowls (paid for by me), and still have almost a full tank of gasoline since my last fill up in March.

And I'm beginning to detest grain bowls.

I feel you. Have you tried getting an Impossible Whopper delivered?

4. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

To be serious, this has set the idea of public transportation back significantly. I worked for a major rapid transit authority, and I know that getting people to willingly ride trains isn't easy in the best of times. If anything this will result in more people buying their own cars.

Yes, planes are taking off nearly full in some cases, which is bad, but that's because the number of available flights have been cut back. For example, Atlanta had 9.6 million passengers in March 2019, only 4.6 million in March 2020. Airlines will only go bankrupt more quickly if they try to fly half-full planes. The alternate would be to double the fares.

I know that AOC wants these changes to be permanent, but this "trial run" we're experiencing right now has not helped sell the idea to the public.

And I'm still missing food that I can identify.

5. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

irv said...

To be serious, this has set the idea of public transportation back significantly. If anything this will result in more people buying their own cars.

I agree completely. Not that I'm happy about it, but right now there are much bigger problems to solve, obviously.

irv said...

the number of available flights have been cut back.

Yup. Air travel hasn't been eliminated outright but it is down significantly.

irv said...

I know that AOC wants these changes to be permanent, but this "trial run" we're experiencing right now has not helped sell the idea to the public.

Hmm. Actually, I haven't seen much in the way of people comparing the current situation to the GND.

I have seen a bit of people saying, "Wow! Look, the fish are back now that no one is using the river" but even then, no one seems to be making the connection to GND or even to global warming.

irv said...

I confess that I'm a bit surprised by this part. Are you not able to get fresh fruit and veggies delivered by Instacart? Can you not order delivery from restaurants? Even pizza delivery is out?

6. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

jimcbrown said...
irv said...

I confess that I'm a bit surprised by this part. Are you not able to get fresh fruit and veggies delivered by Instacart? Can you not order delivery from restaurants? Even pizza delivery is out?

Yes I'm not, no, and yes it is.

No delivery services here except Post Office UPS and Fed Ex. I could pick up from restaurants, except that the restaurants which serve good food (the locally-owned "Mom and Pop" types) have all closed and many have already closed permanently. The "you want fries with that?" chains have drive-thru service, and I can pick up pizza. But "man cannot live on grease alone" to paraphrase something someone once said.

So i get healthy meals delivered via UPS. Unfortunately, "healthy" seems to mean "lots of leftover bits of vegetables mixed with rice in a bowl". It probably is healthy, I've lost 15 lbs. I'm just not sure what I'm eating, and miss tasting the individual flavors of vegetables properly prepared.

But this too shall pass. Soylent green, anyone?

7. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

irv said...

The assertion that "AOC has already achieved most of her Green New Deal" is patently absurd: The Green New Deal Bill has only been referred to numerous House subcomittees. Latest Action: House - 02/12/2019 Referred to the Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources. It is a non-binding resolution and cannot become law.

Whatever actions taken by the U.S. government to date are in no way related to or analogous to proposed "Green New Deal legislation.

Please read the actual text of the bill:

Download Green New Deal.pdf

Read at Congress.gov

The Green New Deal legislation does not make the following assertions:

irv said...

Elimination of fossil fuel production, 99% of gasoline vehicles, and air travel is not mentioned in the text of the Green New Deal. A quote from section 9 of the proposed Green New Deal:

(H)  
overhauling transportation systems in 
the United States to remove pollution and 
greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation  
sector **as much as is technologically feasible**,  
including through investment in— 
(i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; 
(ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transit; and 
(iii) high-speed rail; 

The qualifying phrase "as much as technologically feasible"
is repeated numerous times throughout the bill.

Irv got this right:

irv said...

4. Free education (so far, only postponing the payments, half a check)

But this wrong:

irv said...

5. Free money for those unable or unwilling to work (check)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-adviser-admits-he-falsely-claimed-green-new-deal-didnt-promise-security-for-those-unwilling-to-work
and this is wrong:

irv said...

Banning meat is not mentioned in the Green New Deal text.

Irv said...

Two failures:

8. Eliminate nuclear energy (no, because what's going to run the high-speed rail if they do this? Unicorns?)

High-speed rail seems unlikely: US:High Speed Rail

Elimination of nuclear energy is no specifically called for in the Green New Deal; rather, the goal is to move to completely to renewable energy within 10 years: "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,Or what's a heaven for?" Forbes - Green New Deal is Dead Without Nuclear Power

Regards, Ken Rhodes

8. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

From their own website: https://www.gp.org/green_new_deal

"The centerpiece of the Green New Deal is a transition to 100% clean energy by 2030.

The climate crisis is a serious threat to the survival of humanity and life on Earth. To prevent catastrophe, we need a WWII-scale mobilization transitioning our country and the world to a sustainable economy with 100% clean, renewable energy, public transit, sustainable agriculture and conservation."

It says nothing about eliminating air travel. It just says 100% clean, renewable energy.

So, what sort of 100% clean, renewable energy will get a half-million pound can full of people up into the air and keep it there? If anyone knows, they will become insanely rich!

Now, someone on Quora suggested that adding windmills to the airplane would generate power - which is true, sort of - see RAT. But that's pretty normal for Quora, where apparently physics is against the rules.

9. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

irv said...

From their own website: https://www.gp.org/green_new_deal

"The centerpiece of the Green New Deal is a transition to 100% clean energy by 2030.

The climate crisis is a serious threat to the survival of humanity and life on Earth. To prevent catastrophe, we need a WWII-scale mobilization transitioning our country and the world to a sustainable economy with 100% clean, renewable energy, public transit, sustainable agriculture and conservation."

It says nothing about eliminating air travel. It just says 100% clean, renewable energy.

So, what sort of 100% clean, renewable energy will get a half-million pound can full of people up into the air and keep it there? If anyone knows, they will become insanely rich!

Now, someone on Quora suggested that adding windmills to the airplane would generate power - which is true, sort of - see RAT. But that's pretty normal for Quora, where apparently physics is against the rules.

Physics is against the rules? Well that's awkward. As for the New Green Deal, I don't know. I have heard and read that many places are clearing up and cleaning up simply due to so many people on lockdown. I remember reading recently that rivers/water ways were clearing up in Italy.

10. Re: Off Topic: Some random thoughts...

jimcbrown said...

irv said...

Yes I'm not, no, and yes it is.

No delivery services here except Post Office UPS and Fed Ex.

Ouch. Sometimes I forget not everyone has the conveniences that come from living in a big city.

irv said...

I could pick up from restaurants, except that the restaurants which serve good food (the locally-owned "Mom and Pop" types) have all closed and many have already closed permanently.

How unfortunate. IMVHO that's caused by bad governance. Either they should have gotten a susidy or at least a loan to keep them afloat until the lockdown ended, or else they should have allowed businesses to take out private insurance to guard against this sort of event.

irv said...

The "you want fries with that?" chains have drive-thru service, and I can pick up pizza. But "man cannot live on grease alone" to paraphrase something someone once said.

Agreed.

irv said...

So i get healthy meals delivered via UPS. Unfortunately, "healthy" seems to mean "lots of leftover bits of vegetables mixed with rice in a bowl". It probably is healthy, I've lost 15 lbs. I'm just not sure what I'm eating, and miss tasting the individual flavors of vegetables properly prepared.

But this too shall pass. Soylent green, anyone?

/

irv said...

Oh that's easy. Any sort of ground-based power plant, perhaps based on geothermal energy or hydroelectric power in the right part of the environment, running for a sufficient period of time, could do the job.

Likewise, a clean coal power plant that was gradually transitioning to biofuels or some such..

The hard part is building the battery that can store that kind of power. I know scientists are actively hard at work right now on solving that problem (mining the moons of the gas giants would be quite impractical without it), but expecting a solution by 2030 seems quite optimistic at best.

That said, while I greatly respect your opinions, knowledge, and experience, I believe you may have fallen into the trap of the false dictonomy. Rather than having to use 100% clean & renewable energey to lift half a million pounds into the air or else eliminate air travel, I suspect that what would happen if the GND passed as described would be this:

We'd see much larger fleets of much smaller solar and hydrogen fuel cell powered aircraft for those trips that must be done speedily. These would hold far fewer people, but some of the difference could be made up by having a bigger fleet.

We'd see the return of blimps and other airships, but now moving faster than the old limit of 120mph thanks to new technology, for larger complements of passengers who can afford to wait a bit longer before arriving at their destinations - as well as for cargo that must go over air.

High speed rail for speedy ground shipment of cargo.

Finally, somewhat cynically, I'd expect that foreign airplanes would be exempt from the rule. So more traditional jets would go to foreign airlines (though perhaps they'd be limited to international travel only).

That said, considering the strength of the airline lobbyists, I doubt that we'd see this happen. More likely, if GND did pass, it'd have an exemption for them - or at least delay it for 50, 75, or 100 years.

irv said...

Seems unlikely to help much. You'd get extra drag, and the laws of thermodynamics says that you can't get more power out then was spent to make the airplane fly. And then there's loss of power as heat due to friction...

Admittedly, I haven't done the math, but I'd be surprised if this was worth the trouble.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu