1. Phix :

Hi Pete

Sorry about the subject, but I'm not sure how to title this.

Phix stops, just stops, on certain programs but not others, and I'm not sure how to progress.

If I use pw.exe then nothing appears (just the hourglass, then that goes), and I have to stop it from task manager. If I use p.exe, the console just sit's there with a flashing cursor.

ppw.bat creates p.exe and pw.exe (I have re installed), but doesn't start the demo program. win32lib programs don't start, Arwen programs do. Console programs run. I've put a puts() at the beginning of the non running programs but it doesn't start.

The antivirus doesn't report a threat.

I have a feeling that this might in the parsing stage. I haven't changed anything, apart from reverting that chnge I made a couple weeks ago at your suggestion, and evrything worked then.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a debug mode for Phix that produces an almost running commentary on what its doing? This would be quite helpful.

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix :

First off: does p -test work?

You could try changing global constant showfileprogress = 0 -- show files, times, etc. on line 162 of p.exw. - try that next.

Phix can get into a pickle if the auto-include info of psym.e does not match reality, re-including the same file pointlessly forever.
Sometimes running p p test shows something that p test does not (and sometimes vice versa).

One last desperate trick is to add/uncomment a trace(1) in pmain.e at the start of Compile(), run p p test, then key F6 and brew a cuppa.
You might be able to tell where it is going mental, but it is very slow, and far from always obvious.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix :

great thanks, I'll give those a try and report back,

Cheers

Chris

4. Re: Phix :

petelomax said...

First off: does p -test work?

Yes, 2.93 seconds 

You could try changing global constant showfileprogress = 0 -- show files, times, etc. on line 162 of p.exw. - try that next.

No apparent difference 

Phix can get into a pickle if the auto-include info of psym.e does not match reality, re-including the same file pointlessly forever.
Sometimes running p p test shows something that p test does not (and sometimes vice versa).

One last desperate trick is to add/uncomment a trace(1) in pmain.e at the start of Compile(), run p p test, then key F6 and brew a cuppa.
You might be able to tell where it is going mental, but it is very slow, and far from always obvious.

No, these produce no discernable difference. Having tried various demos, it seems that some incliudes trigger the 'stoppage', and other programs that use includes work fine.

I'll try to pin it down more, and see if I can find a minimal 'stopper' - it could be something as simple a s file permission being changed (this is windows 7, 64), but why this might have changed within the last few weeks on this machine....

Cheers

Chris

5. Re: Phix :

Well, that's interesting.

I have a work computer, and a home coputer.

Both have identical Phix folders on them, with identical paths etc.

It's the works computer that stops with different (but consistent) programs run by Phix.

In the hope that the works computer's copy of Phix was in some way corrupted, I copied the entire Phix folder from the home computer, to the work computer.

No change, still get the stops in the same place.

Hmm, the investigation continues.

Cheers

Chris

6. Re: Phix :

Well, I think I've solved it.

An antivitus program popped up this morning, which I know I hadn't installed, must have been some stealth installation with another program, and sorry, can't remember it's name even though it was only this morning, telling me I had virus, uninstalled it, and presto, working again. So solved more by luck than judgement.

If I recall the name of the antivirus, I'll post it here, but not a trip off the tongue name.

Cheers

Chris

7. Re: Phix :

Hi

It looks like it was Segurazo, which is touted as antivirus / malware removal, but which seems to be itself malware / PUP and stealth installs.

Cheers

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu