1. Phix : string type -> type check failure

Hi Pete

Getting a fully qualified pathname/filename from a file dialogue, and processing to just get the filename

CSV_current = FileDlg(Open, "", "CSV|*.csv") 

if length(CSV_current) > 0 then 
	SetText(FramedText03, get_file_name(CSV_current)) 
end if 

Gives

C:\Phix\builtins\pfile.e:49 in function get_file_name() 
type check failure, path is {67,58,92,80,104,105,120,92,80,114,111,103,1.. 
    path[1..18] = {67'C',58':',92'\',80'P',104'h',105'i',120'x',92'\',80'P',114'r',111'o',103'g',114'r',97'a',109'm',115's',92'\',69'E'} 
    path[19..37] = {85'U',87'W',105'i',110'n',71'G',85'U',73'I',92'\',69'E',87'W',71'G',45'-',68'D',101'e',115's',105'i',103'g',110'n',101'e'} 
    path[38..55] = {114'r',92'\',80'P',114'r',111'o',106'j',101'e',99'c',116't',115's',92'\',86'V',101'e',116't',65'A',110'n',97'a',108'l'} 
    path[56..73] = {121'y',115's',101'e',114'r',92'\',65'A',108'l',108'l',87'W',111'o',114'r',107'k',45'-',83'S',101'e',112'p',116't',45'-'} 
    path[74..80] = {78'N',111'o',118'v',46'.',99'c',115's',118'v'} 

in function get_file_name

global function get_file_name(string path) 
    if not finit then initf() end if 
    path = get_proper_path(path) 
    path = path[rfind(SLASH,path)+1..$] 
    return path 
end function 

produces the error

and changing the string to a sequence,

global function get_file_name(sequence path) 
    if not finit then initf() end if 
    path = get_proper_path(path) 
    path = path[rfind(SLASH,path)+1..$] 
    return path 
end function 

functions as expected, no error

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix : string type -> type check failure

What exactly is FileDlg()? That's the thing that should be fixed, not get_file_name().

I have had a fair few of these in Edita/Edix, and if you don't stamp on them at source you end up chasing your own tail, and making a complete mockery of having a string type in the first place.

A routine that returns a qword sequence when it should/may as well return a string is wasting 7 out of every 8 bytes, or 87.5% of memory (on 64-bit, obviously a mere 75% on 32-bit).

Besides, who wants to see that mess in their ex.err when it could have

path = `C:\Phix\Programs\EUWinGUI\EWG-Designer\Projects\VetAnalyser\AllWork-Sept-Nov.csv` 

EDIT: My C:\Program Files (x86)\Phix\demo\tinEWGdemo\tinewg.ew/FileDlg() almost has this, I have added the commented-out file = {} to indicate the sort of thing I was looking for

if file=0 then 
        file = "" 
    else 
        index = 0 
--      file = {} 
        file = "" 
        while peek(szPointer_file+index)>0 do 
            file = file&peek(szPointer_file+index) 
            index += 1 
        end while 
    end if 
new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix : string type -> type check failure

Thanks for reformatting the message, a lot clearer to read that way, laziness on my part.

FileDlg is from EuWinGui, a 32 bit only library. It returns a string containing the path - it does not specify what sort of string is returned. Why would I care?

Also, why would I care about how many bytes were wasted in a small quick and dirty utility. Surely this is something the parser/compiler should worry about, and do it quietly.

Also, and I'm sure this is clear to you, and I haven't had a lot of time to look at yet, but what is the difference between a dword-sequence and a string? (I know you said qword - the docs seem to indicate this is a 32/64 bit difference.

Cheers

Chris

Edit : I've just read this and it looks a bit abrupt. Not my intention, merely abstracting a Joe programmer. Cheers, Chris

4. Re: Phix : string type -> type check failure

ChrisB said...

what is the difference between a dword-sequence and a string?

One typechecks and the other doesn't smile

Maybe the last bit of code below will help, but if the glossary in the manual (contains both those terms) does not make it clear, not sure what else I can say...

ChrisB said...

Edit : I've just read this and it looks a bit abrupt. Not my intention, merely abstracting a Joe programmer. Cheers, Chris

No worries. Not personal, just heated and lively debate. Got it.

My problem is change get_file_name() and there are two dozen others that should follow suit.
- however I genuinely value those kind of typechecks, though maybe I could "if not string(s) then s := eight_bit_string(s) end if" times 24...
Another problem is that EuWinGUI is (annoyingly) closed source and therefore difficult to support properly on Phix (and 32-bit-Windows only).
You know that above it actually returned "{67,58,92,80,104,105,120,92,80,114,111,103,1.. ", literally that exact specific string...? (Ugh/Yeuk)

Anyway, I have a suggestion. Change EuWinGUI.ew

global function FileDlg(atom dlgtype, sequence filename, sequence filter) 
--  return v3_c_func(filedlg,{dlgtype,filename,filter}) 
    return v3_c_funcs(filedlg,{dlgtype,filename,filter}) 
end function 

While you are there, GetText() can take the same treatment.
Then, add that/this new function into euconvertinc.e:

public function v3_c_funcs(integer func, sequence args) 
    sequence q = v3_c_func(func, args) 
    integer l = length(q) 
    string res = repeat(' ',l) 
    for i=1 to l do 
        res[i] = q[i] 
    end for 
    return res 
end function 

EDIT: Just after posting, I realised there may be a problem in value(). I haven't tried changing this, but in get.e/Get(), line 298 there is indeed:

-- process a sequence 
            s = {} 

Now if s started off as "" instead, it might return a string, and avoid all this mess...

5. Re: Phix : string type -> type check failure

Yup, reverted Phix, and made those changes in EuWinGui, and all working now.

Although, as a point of argument, having a string 'type' kind of takes away the atom/object/sequence simplicity argument.

Cheers

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu