1. euGTK & irv

I've hit another dumb streak. I have always used win32lib for GUI work. I thought I'd give GTK a try because of it's cross platform abilities. Followed Irv's instructions (I think - to the letter). To test it I tried test1.ex from the demos directory (which also conveniently includes the gtkengine.e file). I get an error that I don't know how to fix. A little help would be appreciated. Relevant info:

Euphoria 4.1.0 development Windows 64 bit

Followed instructions in: an_important_message.pdf

euGTK 4.15.2

https://github.com/tschoonj/GTK-for-Windows-Runtime-Environment-Installer

GTK runtime in path

line 102 in gtkengine.e: object path = "C:/Program Files/GTK3-Runtime Win64/bin/" where all the .dlls are

run demos\test1.ex
I get following error messasge from the eu interpreter:

(eui.exe:2836): Gtk-ERROR: 13:55:54.978: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported

test1.ex is pretty plain vanilla so I don't understand the mixing of GTK2 and GTK3

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
jd

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: euGTK & irv

I think you may want to just download gtk3-runtime-3.24.12-2019-11-07-ts-win64.exe from that page. The installer master includes both gtk2 and gtk3 stuff, which isn't necessary. You may want to remove any existing Gtk folders before you install the above file.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: euGTK & irv

irv said...

I think you may want to just download gtk3-runtime-3.24.12-2019-11-07-ts-win64.exe from that page.

Many thanks for the quick response.

This is indeed the one I installed not the GTK2 flavor. What I have done is to search the machine for anything related to GTK. Apart from the GTK3 stuff just installed there is a copy of GTK2 in a completely unrelated directory. I deleted it. Now the test programs run without errors; however, the software that was using GTK2 is dead. The other thing that is puzzling is the GTK3 demos run extremely slowly at startup. The same (almost) program done with win32lib startup is about 5 times faster. This is the euphoria pseudo code generation step, I think. Maybe everything, including the kitchen sink, is being included and translated instead of just what is needed.

Anyway, Thanks for the pointer. I shall forge ahead with my trial.

regards, jd

4. Re: euGTK & irv

jessedavis said...
irv said...

I think you may want to just download gtk3-runtime-3.24.12-2019-11-07-ts-win64.exe from that page.

Many thanks for the quick response.

This is indeed the one I installed not the GTK2 flavor. What I have done is to search the machine for anything related to GTK. Apart from the GTK3 stuff just installed there is a copy of GTK2 in a completely unrelated directory. I deleted it. Now the test programs run without errors; however, the software that was using GTK2 is dead. The other thing that is puzzling is the GTK3 demos run extremely slowly at startup. The same (almost) program done with win32lib startup is about 5 times faster. This is the euphoria pseudo code generation step, I think. Maybe everything, including the kitchen sink, is being included and translated instead of just what is needed.

Anyway, Thanks for the pointer. I shall forge ahead with my trial.

regards, jd

I have often found that software developed primarily for Linux platform, and later adjusted to be available for Windows is buggy. I have found WxEuphoria very reliable.

5. Re: euGTK & irv

Startup time for Windows vs. Linux discussion - problem may be Windows Defender:

https://openeuphoria.org/forum/133895.wc#133895

Startup times after disabling: https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/133884.wc

Naturally, this depends on the computer speed, and Euphoria programs should be bound (or compiled, if you prefer) for best speed.

6. Re: euGTK & irv

A quick test with Windows security disabled:

EuGTK programs start in < 1 sec, whether on Windows 10 or Linux (dual boot on same computer).

Choices seem to be: disable Windows Defender, figure out how to exempt Euphoria from the Defender scans (search on-line for that, I can't figure it out), or get a real operating system.

Disabling isn't a good idea if you are ever on-line (I disconnect the network before booting into Windows, so I don't have problems from viruses or interminable "updates").

7. Re: euGTK & irv

irv said...

A quick test with Windows security disabled:

EuGTK programs start in < 1 sec, whether on Windows 10 or Linux (dual boot on same computer).

I feel sure that you are correct about Defender. It puzzles me that other (and there are a lot) euphoria programs don't suffer from this malady. It should not be a problem as I generate .exe files for everything.

Irv} said...

or get a real operating system.

The problem is not me. It's convincing the customer that Windows is a bad idea. This is especially true if he has commercial software needed for his operation. Just saying get a "real operating system" is a non-starter (and kinda dogmatic). Anyway my real goal is for use on Raspberry Pi set up as a dedicated point of sale system.

Again, thanks for your help,
jd

8. Re: euGTK & irv

jessedavis said...

Anyway my real goal is for use on Raspberry Pi set up as a dedicated point of sale system.

Again, thanks for your help,
jd

You will probably have success if you go the extra $10 or $20 for a Raspberry Pi 4. I use the Pi 3, with 1 gig memory, it's 'usable' but not really fast. The 2 or 4 gig on the Pi 4 should work much better.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu