1. Phix docs wiki

Just experimenting, I have manually converted three pages to pmwiki.

I would need to write a program to convert all ~1000, not that doing so should be excessively difficult or too dissimilar to the existing makephix.exw, anyway see what you think:

http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Intro
http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Docs.Phix

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Phix docs wiki

petelomax said...

Just experimenting, I have manually converted three pages to pmwiki.

http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Docs.Phix

Well, with that password lock, how is anybody supposed to contribute?! grin

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Phix docs wiki

I've now managed to copy the password instructions from http://phix.x10.mx/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Introduction onto the password prompt page.

<snip>

4. Re: Phix docs wiki

Hi Pete

Is the email address, found in your profile, in this forum still valid?

_tom

5. Re: Phix docs wiki

Yes it is, but gmail has been acting up up for a few days - just replied to your query, as follows:

Thanks, but not just yet. I am in the process of trying to build and upload the other 994 pages. Right now I am neck-deep down the rabbithole of an html parser...

In the short term you should expect the wiki will likely be replaced wholesale fairly often, and before I have managed to perfect the process outlined below, no doubt several edits will/would be lost.

In the long term, the process/workflow will be as follows: I will upload the wiki and keep a copy, possibly in a private repo. Periodically I will check the "Recent changes" and/or download the lot and compare/push to my private repo, replicating any changes to the master copy. Every so often, when I think I have caught/applied all changes, I will/may regenerate/reupload the entire wiki, or perhaps just those pages I have changed locally (which should be easily determined by filedate).

One alternative could be to make the wiki the master, however that would overly impact my usual workflow (I do a ton of global searches and have been known to rebuild phix.chm 20 times per hour), which would be rather annoying given that I must have a local backup copy anyway, plus I have some concerns over adequate vetting.

Equally valid would be cloning the phix bitbucket repository and pushing changes to docs/phix/src, but I doubt that would be any better or more popular.

In short, it would be my job to catch any changes anyone makes.

Pete

6. Re: Phix docs wiki

I have now uploaded approx 90 pages to the phix docs wiki. The other 900 are hopefully easily generated, but I may as well get some feedback before going any further.

There are some obvious failures: installation, precedence, reserved words, and mpfr is a bit wonky but not bad really - suggestions/actual demonstrations/edits on the wiki that show how to fix things would probably be somewhat more helpful to me than just pointing out things that are wrong!

7. Re: Phix docs wiki

I tried a "test edit" but the changes do not show up.

Check the "Introduction" page.

_tom

8. Re: Phix docs wiki

|| is the markup for tables: simple, as linked to at the bottom right on every edit page.
In fact you have defined 3 lots of attributes, so I added a header and more || to make it a proper table.
It will no doubt take some time to get used to a new wiki.

9. Re: Phix docs wiki

The fingers type in "creole" regardless...

Wanted: a complete set of wiki pages in "PmWiki" text format, that I can examine, comment on, and then submit to you as a complete collection. You then do a "diff" and see the comments.

I tried the link that lets me download the entire 30M of the wiki. The downloaded pages are not friendly for editing.

I want to be able to work offline.

_tom

10. Re: Phix docs wiki

_tom said...

Wanted: a complete set of wiki pages in "PmWiki" text format, that I can examine, comment on, and then submit to you as a complete collection. You then do a "diff" and see the comments.

I tried the link that lets me download the entire 30M of the wiki. The downloaded pages are not friendly for editing.

Hang on a moment... The pmwiki pages are only suitable for online editing, eg all "\n" must be "%0a", so one very long line...

_tom said...

I want to be able to work offline.

Ah. Forget the wiki, there is a much easier way, basically do what I do:

First: copy/move the docs/phix/images directory into docs/phix/html (you may need to copy a few other files such as Combined.css, Common.js and header_01/2.jpg) and then run docs/phix/makephix.exw
You should now be able to view docs/phix/html/phix.htm locally. You might also want to edit/rename docs/phix/phix.htm (one directory level up) as an easier way in, by inserting "/html" into all links, though it will get clobbered every time you run makephix.exw.

Then: Edit docs/phix/src/xxx.htm and run makephix, to regenerate docs/phix/html (true, on windows it also creates phix.chm, but no need to care about that).
Then send me the zip/diff of docs/phix/src... or better yet upload somewhere and just send me the link.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu