1. [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

Could we use Google docs as a central location for editing documentation?

The idea is that everyone could edit a copy of the source-code directly. A running copy of a pdf made from these changes would be available at the same location.

The wiki is too crusty.

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

_tom said...

The idea is that everyone could edit a copy of the source-code directly. A running copy of a pdf made from these changes would be available at the same location.

The only options for now are to create tickets for any issues*, or make the changes to the source yourself.

* You might need developer-role permission to create tickets for the documentation, so just ask in the above thread. We should be able to get that for you.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

euphoric said...
_tom said...

The only options for now are to create tickets for any issues*, or make the changes to the source yourself.

* You might need developer-role permission to create tickets for the documentation, so just ask in the above thread. We should be able to get that for you.

Why the insistence on making what should be a collaborative effort darn near impossible for anyone to use?

In addition, if I change the source code, what are the chances that my changes will be incorporated into the release? If I create tickets, what are the chances that something will actually be done about the problem?

Worst of all - what are the chances that - by allowing me to modify the source code - I will introduce errors in Euphoria?

What, may I ask, is wrong with letting people who actually care about correcting the documentation, correct the documentation without giving them a chance to damage working source code?

4. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

The logistics of the current wiki are a pain. But I still feel that is the best we have right now.

My understanding of Google docs is that the features I want are paid features for business users. The free google docs are crippled.

_tom

5. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

irv said...

Why the insistence on making what should be a collaborative effort darn near impossible for anyone to use?

That's like asking, "Why force us to breathe oxygen?"

It's just the way the system is set up for now.

I'm sure Greg is working on a way that allows better collaboration for the docs, but we're having to deal with how it works now.

irv said...

In addition, if I change the source code, what are the chances that my changes will be incorporated into the release?

High, if the changes are good.

irv said...

If I create tickets, what are the chances that something will actually be done about the problem?

Medium to high.

irv said...

Worst of all - what are the chances that - by allowing me to modify the source code - I will introduce errors in Euphoria?

Zero to low. There is a testing framework in place that helps identify problems before they are incorporated. Greg should be able to speak more on this.

irv said...

What, may I ask, is wrong with letting people who actually care about correcting the documentation, correct the documentation without giving them a chance to damage working source code?

Nothing wrong with it. It's just not currently set up to work that way.

Changes made to the online docs or wiki cannot be (easily) incorporated into the 4.1.0 docs, so I'm just trying to prevent any wasted efforts (because this is a big effort). Again, Greg might have something else to say about that.

The ticketing system for documentation is the best place for that right now, just so we don't duplicate efforts and your efforts don't go to waste.

6. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

euphoric said...
irv said...

Nothing wrong with it. It's just not currently set up to work that way.

Changes made to the online docs or wiki cannot be (easily) incorporated into the 4.1.0 docs, so I'm just trying to prevent any wasted efforts (because this is a big effort). Again, Greg might have something else to say about that.

The ticketing system for documentation is the best place for that right now, just so we don't duplicate efforts and your efforts don't go to waste.

Fine. I will start entering tickets. I currently have about 50 ready to go. Can we expect to see those changes incorporated and posted somewhere so that the rest of us can make suggestions/corrections? On a weekly basis, perhaps?

Or do we have to wait until the next release to find out?

7. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

irv said...

Fine. I will start entering tickets. I currently have about 50 ready to go. Can we expect to see those changes incorporated and posted somewhere so that the rest of us can make suggestions/corrections? On a weekly basis, perhaps?

I am planning to implement a webhook to provide some basic CI. So every time a commit is made, the webhook will do a checkout and run the build/tests and then report the status back to the GitHub page via repo badges.

I can also have this run the HTML docs build and then post the output somewhere. Another side-effect of this will be the return of nightly builds being available for download. This will take a some time but it's high on my list.

-Greg

8. Re: [docs] Any ideas on using Google Docs for collaboration?

irv said...

Can we expect to see those changes incorporated and posted somewhere so that the rest of us can make suggestions/corrections? On a weekly basis, perhaps?

They will show up in the repo. I have already pushed some changes to the source documentation! It was pretty easy!

See here.

I'll keep doing that as time permits, and, eventually, we'll have most fixes incorporated.

However, we are still going to work on wikifying the docs, I think, so this will be moot in the future.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu