1. Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

Forked from Re: GUI libraries

Hey, _tom!

You want to check these out and let us know what you think? grin

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

Here are some more widget libraries. You can sort that table by language, which is nice!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

My starting point is: I am not a programmer, I do not want to know how this stuff works, I use text mode because is is easy, I want to use a gui sometime.

Pragmatic viewpoint: Greg, Irv, and Pete determine what is possible.

I would like to see a common Euphoria|Phix gui, which I guess could be libui. For a common gui all that is needed are the basics. For "real" programs you would then choose to use euGTK on Euphoria, and IUP on Phix.

All of the other options do not look like practical choices.

_tom

4. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

_tom said...

My starting point is: I am not a programmer, I do not want to know how this stuff works, I use text mode because is is easy, I want to use a gui sometime.

You're a good researcher and technical writer, so I figured it would be good to have your viewpoint on the available C-based toolkits.

I'm like you, though: my initial impulse is to prototype with a console UI, although EuGTK makes prototyping a GUI waaaay easier, so I'm leaning that way now. It is frustrating to read "Not available for Windows," but it is what it is. There are only a few cases, and I haven't experienced anything app-halting yet. smile

My next effort is to see how easy it is to prototype with Phix's pGUI (using IUP) library, which also seems pretty easy to use. I have a little experience with it, but not comprehensive.

5. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

The things that are not available for Windows in EuGTK fall into two categories:

1. There is no webview (built-in web browser component). So a program like the Bear would need to link to a separate browser.
2. mime types don't work - but that's probably my fault, someone who understands more about how Windows uses mime types could probably point the way to a fix for that.

In addition, there are several demos which use common support programs (grep, for example), which come factory stock on most Linux platforms, but not on Windows. This is only a problem for the demos. If you're writing a program for Windows, you should be able to find a grep replacement, and call that instead.

One more, which is a problem with my computer or Windows installation, I guess - mine always thinks I am in Belize.
(I'm not, darn it!).
So the money formatting is broken (and I have found no way to convince Windows that I am NOT in Belize!)

6. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

irv said...

1. There is no webview (built-in web browser component). So a program like the Bear would need to link to a separate browser.

The Windows build of wxWebView just uses Internet Explorer, but at least it's available, for what it's worth, I guess. (I mean, IE, really?)

irv said...

2. mime types don't work - but that's probably my fault, someone who understands more about how Windows uses mime types could probably point the way to a fix for that.

This is no surprise since mime type detection on Windows is a hot mess. Mime types have always been a second-class citizen on Windows.

irv said...

In addition, there are several demos which use common support programs (grep, for example), which come factory stock on most Linux platforms, but not on Windows. This is only a problem for the demos. If you're writing a program for Windows, you should be able to find a grep replacement, and call that instead.

Is this something that could be replaced with the built-in regex or wildcard routines?

irv said...

One more, which is a problem with my computer or Windows installation, I guess - mine always thinks I am in Belize.
(I'm not, darn it!).
So the money formatting is broken (and I have found no way to convince Windows that I am NOT in Belize!)

Is it just GTK that thinks you're in Belize, or Windows as a whole?

-Greg

7. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

irv said...

A recent project required a web view, so this was disappointing. getlost

Is it not even available thru the GTK library, or have you just not added it yet? smile

irv said...

In addition, there are several demos which use common support programs (grep, for example), which come factory stock on most Linux platforms, but not on Windows. This is only a problem for the demos.

I suspect all demos will need to be cross-platform if packaged with Euphoria. Is that a difficult thing to accomplish?

irv said...

You can probably just leave Belize, and that would solve that one. grin

8. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

As far as I can tell, libwebkit doesn't exist for Windows (except perhaps for a really old ~ 10 yrs. version for GTK2).

I could replace grep with a lot of Euphoria code, yes. But these are demos - not finished apps. Why clutter up the demos with things that can be done with one line of code that any competent programmer will understand?

I don't think there's a work-around for Windows problems with mime-types, however.

The money formatting problem is also Windows related apparently (code works unchanged on Linux).

9. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

irv said...

I could replace grep with a lot of Euphoria code, yes. But these are demos - not finished apps. Why clutter up the demos with things that can be done with one line of code that any competent programmer will understand?

Well, first everybody is complaining about not being accessible to n00bs. Now you don't care about n00bs?

They ain't all competent programmers at first. smile

ALL the demos need to work on ALL Euphoria-compatible platforms.

10. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

euphoric said...
irv said...

Well, first everybody is complaining about not being accessible to n00bs. Now you don't care about n00bs?

They ain't all competent programmers at first. smile

ALL the demos need to work on ALL Euphoria-compatible platforms.

The demos are to demonstrate EuGTK functions. The euphora code to replace grep will be dozens of lines, and will prove nothing except that euphoria is NOT always the best solution to a problem.

However, you do have a point. So in the next release, I shall simply remove any demos which won't work on all platforms.

11. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

irv said...

in the next release, I shall simply remove any demos which won't work on all platforms.

Probably better to just shift them into a linux sub directory. Add a note along the lines of "If anyone can get this to work on windows,let me know". Ideally make sure they crash cleanly.

12. Re: Considerations For A GUI Library for Euphoria

petelomax said...
irv said...

in the next release, I shall simply remove any demos which won't work on all platforms.

Probably better to just shift them into a linux sub directory. Add a note along the lines of "If anyone can get this to work on windows,let me know". Ideally make sure they crash cleanly.

That's not a bad solution.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu