1. @mattlewis: I have some questions about memstruct if you're around

I noticed several TODO's in c_struct.e regarding MEMUNION and MEMSTRUCT in the various peek/poke routines. Any suggestions on how to implement these correctly?

procedure poke_array_value( integer pointer, integer depth, integer data_type, sequence access_path, sequence type_name, sequence struct_name ) 

switch data_type do 
        case MS_FLOAT, MS_DOUBLE, MS_LONGDOUBLE, MS_EUDOUBLE then 
            c_stmt0( "if( IS_ATOM_INT( _1 ) ){\n" ) 
            c_stmt( sprintf("((%s*)@)%s[ax%d] = (%s)_1;\n", {struct_name, access_path, depth, type_name}), pointer ) 
            c_stmt0( "}\n" ) 
            c_stmt0( "else{\n") 
            c_stmt( sprintf("((%s*)@)%s[ax%d] = (%s)DBL_PTR( _1 )->dbl;\n", {struct_name, access_path, depth, type_name}), pointer ) 
            c_stmt0( "}\n") 

case MEMUNION then 
            -- TODO 
        case MEMSTRUCT then 
            -- TODO 
        case else 
            c_stmt0( "if( IS_ATOM_INT( _1 ) ){\n" ) 
            c_stmt( sprintf("((%s*)@)%s[ax%d] = (%s) _1;\n", {struct_name, access_path, depth, type_name} ), pointer ) 
            c_stmt0("}\n" ) 
            c_stmt0( "else{\n") 
            c_stmt( sprintf("((%s*)@)%s[ax%d] = (%s) DBL_PTR( _1 )->dbl;\n", {struct_name, access_path, depth, type_name } ), pointer ) 
            c_stmt0("}\n" ) 
    end switch 

end procedure 

What are your thoughts on making the name of the memstruct optional for accessing structure members? I was basically thinking that we treat memstruct like a type.

For example, this...

memstruct POINT 
    int x 
    int y 
end memstruct 

atom point = allocate( sizeof( POINT ) ) 
point.POINT.x = 1 
point.POINT.y = 2 

Would just look like this...

POINT point = allocate( sizeof( POINT ) ) 
point.x = 1 
point.y = 2 

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: @mattlewis: I have some questions about memstruct if you're around

I had emailed Matt directly the other day and this was his reply.

mattlewis said...

I think it should be possible to make the memstruct name optional when you know the type you're dealing with already. However, if the pointer is stored in a sequence or something then you wouldn't have any way to know what to look for. But it would certainly be nice to have where you could use it. I suspect it's probably something I would have gotten around to eventually.

As for poking a union or a struct...I guess they'd probably be a memcpy or similar of the appropriate size.

Matt

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu