1. EuAllegro Help

Hello all,

I am working on updating EuAllegro for the most current version of Allegro. I almost got it, but I'm having a little trouble with it.

C Code

#define ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER   1 
#define ALLEGRO_VERSION_STR      "5.2.5" 
#define ALLEGRO_DATE_STR         "2019" 
#define ALLEGRO_DATE             20190224    /* yyyymmdd */ 
#define ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT \ 
    ((ALLEGRO_VERSION << 24) | (ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION << 16) | \ 
    (ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION << 8) | ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER | \ 
    ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT) 

Eu Code

--Wrapper Code 
public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION = 5, 
				ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION = 2, 
				ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION = 5 

public constant ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER = 1 

public constant ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT = 8589934592 

public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = or_bits(ALLEGRO_VERSION * power(2, 24), or_bits(ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION * power(2, 16), or_bits(ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION * power(2, 8), or_bits(ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT * power (2, 4), ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER))))  

--Sample Program 
--Display a simple window 

without warning 

include std/machine.e 
include EuAllegro.ew 

atom ret = al_install_system(ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT,0) --error comes from here, error is bad routine number -1 

atom dis = al_create_display(800,600) 

al_set_new_window_title("Simple Window") 

al_flip_display() 

al_rest(5.0) 

al_destroy_display(dis) 

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: EuAllegro Help

There are functions in std/math.e that will make those bit shifts easier. See or_all() and shift_bits().

public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = or_all({ 
    shift_bits( ALLEGRO_VERSION,     -24 ), 
    shift_bits( ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION, -16 ), 
    shift_bits( ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION,  -8 ), 
    ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT 
}) 

I don't think you should be setting ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT. AFAIK you should leave it at zero if you are using the release binaries. You should probably write your al_install_system() wrapper such that it first checks its ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT against the value returned by al_get_allegro_version(), and only proceed with calling al_install_system() if it matches.

If you're getting -1 for al_install_system() then check your output from open_dll() to make sure the library is loaded, and then check your define_c_func/proc() calls to make sure you're getting back proper function IDs (positive integers, not -1). You can load the library into Dependency Walker to make sure you're seeing the function names exported from the library. (I also recently discovered Dependencies which is a newer re-implementation of Dependency Walker for Windows 7 and up, but I haven't tried it yet. Might be worth a look.)

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: EuAllegro Help

ghaberek said...

There are functions in std/math.e that will make those bit shifts easier. See or_all() and shift_bits().

ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT 
}) 

I don't think you should be setting ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT. AFAIK you should leave it at zero if you are using the release binaries. You should probably write your al_install_system() wrapper such that it first checks its ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT against the value returned by al_get_allegro_version(), and only proceed with calling al_install_system() if it matches.

If you're getting -1 for al_install_system() then check your output from open_dll() to make sure the library is loaded, and then check your define_c_func/proc() calls to make sure you're getting back proper function IDs (positive integers, not -1). You can load the library into Dependency Walker to make sure you're seeing the function names exported from the library. (I also recently discovered Dependencies which is a newer re-implementation of Dependency Walker for Windows 7 and up, but I haven't tried it yet. Might be worth a look.)

-Greg

Thanks for the tips. I've reformated to the new way. I've left out the UNSTABLE_BIT flag as it seems it was uneeded. However, I am now getting type_check failure ver is {83886080,131072,1280}, this is coming from the sample program al_install_system() function.

--misc flags 
public constant ALLEGRO_NEW_WINDOW_TITLE_MAX_SIZE = 255 
public constant ALLEGRO_PI = 3.14159265358979323846 
public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = ({shift_bits(ALLEGRO_VERSION,-24), 
									   shift_bits(ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION,-16), 
									   shift_bits(ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION,-8), 
									   ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER}) 

4. Re: EuAllegro Help

Icy_Viking said...

Thanks for the tips. I've reformated to the new way. I've left out the UNSTABLE_BIT flag as it seems it was uneeded. However, I am now getting type_check failure ver is {83886080,131072,1280}, this is coming from the sample program al_install_system() function.

You left out the or_all() function.

public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = or_all({ -- or_all() goes here 
   shift_bits(ALLEGRO_VERSION,-24), 
   ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER 
}) 

-Greg

5. Re: EuAllegro Help

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

You left out the or_all() function.

public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = or_all({ -- or_all() goes here 
   shift_bits(ALLEGRO_VERSION,-24), 
   ALLEGRO_RELEASE_NUMBER 
}) 

-Greg

Thanks Greg, simple oversight. Ok, so I did an error check and it says the function is failing to register. I checked the DLL and the al_install_system() function is inside the DLL.

public constant xal_install_system = define_c_func(al,"+al_install_system",{C_INT,C_POINTER},C_BOOL) 

public function al_install_system(atom ver,atom x) 

return c_func(xal_install_system,{ver,x}) 

end function 

if xal_install_system = -1 then 
	puts(1,"al_install_system failed!\n") --this does come up when I run the wrapper library 
	abort(0) 
end if 

6. Re: EuAllegro Help

Icy_Viking said...

Thanks Greg, simple oversight. Ok, so I did an error check and it says the function is failing to register. I checked the DLL and the al_install_system() function is inside the DLL.

public constant xal_install_system = define_c_func(al,"+al_install_system",{C_INT,C_POINTER},C_BOOL) 

end function 

puts(1,"al_install_system failed!\n") --this does come up when I run the wrapper library 
	abort(0) 
end if 

ver should always be set to ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT. x refers to a pointer. Is it set to NULL or allocated ?

Jean-Marc

7. Re: EuAllegro Help

ghaberek said...

ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT 
}) 

fwiw, I would always prefer eg

public constant ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT = ALLEGRO_VERSION*#1000000 + 
                                      ALLEGRO_SUB_VERSION*#10000 + 
                                      ALLEGRO_WIP_VERSION*#100 + 
                                      ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT 
and 
public constant ALLEGRO_UNSTABLE_BIT = #200000000 
ghaberek said...

(I also recently discovered Dependencies which is a newer re-implementation of Dependency Walker for Windows 7 and up, but I haven't tried it yet. Might be worth a look.)

It sure is, works like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

8. Re: EuAllegro Help

jmduro said...
Icy_Viking said...

end function 

abort(0) 
end if 

ver should always be set to ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT. x refers to a pointer. Is it set to NULL or allocated ?

Jean-Marc

I have it set to 0, which I believe is basiclly the same as NULL, unless I'm mistaken.

--Display a simple window 

without warning 

include std/machine.e 
include EuAllegro.ew 

atom ret = al_install_system(ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT,0) 

atom dis = al_create_display(800,600) 

al_set_new_window_title("Simple Window") 

al_flip_display() 

al_rest(5.0) 

al_destroy_display(dis) 

9. Re: EuAllegro Help

Icy_Viking said...

I have it set to 0, which I believe is basiclly the same as NULL, unless I'm mistaken.

That is correct. It's defined in std/dll.e as literally public constant NULL = 0.

If you can see al_install_system in the DLL via Dependency Walker, then it should be found by define_c_func().

Check the output of open_dll() as well. Are you getting a large integer (memory address) or zero (DLL was not loaded)?

Which specific DLLs are you using? I'd like to download and test them on my system.

-Greg

10. Re: EuAllegro Help

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

That is correct. It's defined in std/dll.e as literally public constant NULL = 0.

If you can see al_install_system in the DLL via Dependency Walker, then it should be found by define_c_func().

Check the output of open_dll() as well. Are you getting a large integer (memory address) or zero (DLL was not loaded)?

Which specific DLLs are you using? I'd like to download and test them on my system.

-Greg

Yes I checked with the DLL dependency program, al_install_system() is included in the DLL. I'm using allegro-x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-8.2.1-posix-seh-dynamic-5.2.5.0 from https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/releases/tag/5.2.5.0, the specific DLL is allegro-5.2.DLL

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu