1. New to Euphoria and I have some questions

I stumbled upon this language quite recently and it looks pretty interesting. I actually found it through the fork(?) Phix, which has a lot of examples on Rosetta code.
https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code/Rank_languages_by_popularity/Full_list

1. What method of garbage collection does Euphoria use?
    I was digging around the manual, but I didn't find anything stating what it Euphoria uses. I found an old email from 2006 that states it uses automatic reference counting. Is this information still true, does anyone have better knowledge on the subject that would be willing to share?
  2. Who are the current maintainers/core team?
    On the github page I see the recent commits are primarily from a shawnpringle.
  3. Is there a roadmap?
    I found a post from 2018, but that's about it.
    https://openeuphoria.org/forum/132360.wc#132360
  4. How close is the 4.1 beta from being released? I notice the popular libraries already depend on 4.1.
new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New to Euphoria and I have some questions

davidbruce said...

I stumbled upon this language quite recently and it looks pretty interesting.

Welcome!

davidbruce said...

I actually found it through the fork(?) Phix, which has a lot of examples on Rosetta code.
https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code/Rank_languages_by_popularity/Full_list

That's because Pete likes to show off. blink

davidbruce said...
  1. What method of garbage collection does Euphoria use?
    I was digging around the manual, but I didn't find anything stating what it Euphoria uses. I found an old email from 2006 that states it uses automatic reference counting. Is this information still true, does anyone have better knowledge on the subject that would be willing to share?

You are correct, reference counting is still the current method.

Here are some good threads to read to understand more about the internals of Euphoria.

davidbruce said...
  1. Who are the current maintainers/core team?
    On the github page I see the recent commits are primarily from a shawnpringle.

Lately, just myself and Shawn. Shawn's been trying to squash the last couple bugs and I've been working on a lot of administrative tasks (GitHub, web server, promotion, etc.). We both have limited time as it is, and the level of activity reflects that.

davidbruce said...
  1. Is there a roadmap?
    I found a post from 2018, but that's about it.
    https://openeuphoria.org/forum/132360.wc#132360

That's still the goal. I've migrated the code repos to GitHub, upgraded the web server, and I'm working on a rewrite of the website. I'm considering moving the "Tickets" and "Wiki" functions to GitHub as well. I'm open to suggestions and we could use a couple more volunteers to get some tasks taken care of.

davidbruce said...
  1. How close is the 4.1 beta from being released? I notice the popular libraries already depend on 4.1.

Shawn and I both consider 4.1 stable enough for use as-is. The problem I've been having trying to get a release out, is that the Makefile is a total mess. Another issue I have is that matherr is obsolete and has to be removed to build against recent versions of glibc. Both of these have stymied my recent attempts at a full build of 4.1. I'm still trying though!

And again, for all who are reading: we sure could use some volunteers so we can work through these issues and move forward!

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New to Euphoria and I have some questions

ghaberek said...

And again, for all who are reading: we sure could use some volunteers so we can work through these issues and move forward!

-Greg

Sign me up :)

Have you begun the the site re-write? If you do is there a branch anywhere or do you have any mock ups already? I could help in this area to start off. Do you have a branch for the matherr issue as well? Or should I be able to reproduce the issue from master with glibc 2.27 or greater?

4. Re: New to Euphoria and I have some questions

davidbruce said...

Have you begun the the site re-write? If you do is there a branch anywhere or do you have any mock ups already? I could help in this area to start off.

So far 90% of my work has been on Euphoria MVC, which will be the platform for the new site. Aside from that, the new site is just a collection of code scraps on my laptop.

I want to get the HTTP server code working in Euphoria MVC, which will help streamline development of any website using the platform, since you can just "run" the app and test it in your browser.

My advice at this point is to peruse Euphoria MVC, see what I've done, and try to make something of it yourself. Then, check out the euweb code to see how that all comes together.

davidbruce said...

Do you have a branch for the matherr issue as well? Or should I be able to reproduce the issue from master with glibc 2.27 or greater?

Shawn had worked on this last year and committed some code to the 4.0 branch. We need to ensure that's in the master branch as well, and make a few tests for it if we have not.

Like I said, the biggest hurdle is the Makefile. It can be made to work as-is if you get all of the little dependencies worked out (trust me, you'll find them as you try to run make).

It needs to be rebuilt so that there are as few dependencies as possible. I should be able to install Euphoria on my system, install GCC, and then run ./configure && make.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu