1. Best 2D Game Dev Libs

I want to put a prototype together for a relatively simple 2D game. It will be based on a grid.

What are the current tools we have for doing that with Euphoria? Or should I go with something like Godot?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Best 2D Game Dev Libs

euphoric said...

I want to put a prototype together for a relatively simple 2D game. It will be based on a grid.

What are the current tools we have for doing that with Euphoria? Or should I go with something like Godot?

I did wrap SDL2 and SFML2 with Euphoria a while back. They are still working. I would like to wrap XNA/MonoGame for Euphoria, but since its based on the .NET platform, it would be a lot harder to wrap, though Monogame is open source.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Best 2D Game Dev Libs

Hi

I like allegro 4.2, and am currently developing a game with it, I've added stuff for jpegs, fmod for music, and joysticks (which don't work in allegro 4.2). There's also an idiots guide to writing a game. I's a bit stalled at the moment, I need to update the robots game on box.net.

Note I tend to use Phix, and while I've tried to make the wrappers cross compatible, you may have to do a little editing to get them to work.

https://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/allegro.wc

I couldn't get some functions in the wrapper for allegro 5 to work, I may revisit it at some point.

The new eusigil and euGLFW look promising. There's also the various SDL wrappers, and something called musubi (search the archives) which I've fiddled with.

Which is best for you is for you to say, they all have their pros and cons.

There is an old library called exotica and exoticax, but I fear that Windows 'progress' may have left them behind.

Cheers

Chris

4. Re: Best 2D Game Dev Libs

I think the simplest library is Sigil, which ChrisB mentioned. If by "grid" you mean "tiles," then check out Tiled, a GUI tool for making tile-based maps.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu